Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windoze ate my hdsik.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertranger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Windoze ate my hdsik. Reply with quote

Very nice,. I drop my laaptop rendering it forever dead. But tha'ts OK is was 9 years old anyway. Figuired since I run Linux anyway it didn't matter what I got as long as it wasn't HP again. So I got a Toshiba with a pair of hdisks in it and Windows 8.

A UI that gets in the way, is ugly and frustrating to use I thought I'd just drop Linux n it since that;s what I use. So now starts te problems. First I discpover UEFI amd spent a good 2 hrs trying to turn it off. When I finally did get it off I had to search for where the sel;ect boot drive option was. It went on like this for a week and I'm still no closer to installing Linux than I was a week ago.

I've found the article dealing with it but no matter what I do Win 8 got a new surprize to keep my Linux out. Whjat;s the deal? I had heard that computers now have to be setup so you can install a different OS if you wanted to. I use Ubuntu, Puppy and Redhat Linux. I'd sure like to know what I'm doing wrong or haven't found to get that piece of crap windows out of my hair. If I want Win of any flavor I run it in a VM but a month after getting this win 8 Laptop I still haven't gotten to a palce where I can make it work properly. Any suggestions? Did I miss something. Has Mscum really got a way to keep from installing Linux or are the details buried so deep it takes forever to find them? Help would be appreciated because as it stand I have a computer I can't use effectively without having to visit the WinApp store for what I need.

Windows Mac or Linux every OS sucks.

What's in your pack?
www.desertbandanna.com
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen and read
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

I have yet to get involved with anything but the old BIOS/MBR, so have no idea yet how easy or hard this all is.

Good luck!
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick google for UEFI Toshiba and got this page: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-8-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Enter-the-system-BIOS-or-UEFI-in-Windows-8/ta-p/329292

Don't know if it is any help as my hardware still uses rubber bands to start up Laughing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: