Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D Printing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlturriff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: 3D Printing Reply with quote

I've just been reading the latest issue of Make Magazine (yes, I do read other stuff besides LXF Smile), their "Ultimate Guide To 3D Printing."

Unfortunately, though it does list the various printers' OS support, its review of software covers only what runs on the Windows platform.

I realize that reviewing 3D printers would be a rather involved task, but it would be interesting to know what's available in the way of Linux software for 3D printing.

Thanks for a great mag!

Leslie / Missouri USA
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may sound strange, but 3D printing isn't that much different then a plotter or other CAM machine. It needs Gerber files to do its job. Blender is an Open Source 3D drawing program, amongst other I'd add... Use Google to find more Wink
jlturriff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

But I can't remember LXF covering the subject, and I think it would make a good article.

Leslie
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it does, but it is a rather niche subject... It'll probably won't sell that well, outside subscribers... Wink
einonm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just built myself a RepRap (reprap.org) - which, quite frankly is bloomin' ace. I can now print all the lego bits I'll ever need...

The basic software for the reprap is GPL, but there are loads of more sophisticated CAD programs, including Blender, that are available for Linux. I'd love a review of 3D printing / reprap capable CAD programs to appear in the mag. Any chance...?

The RepRap was invented by a guy from Bath Uni, so I'm sure LF can easily get hold of some hardware if they ask nicely Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: