Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB mobile data dongle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvonh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: USB mobile data dongle Reply with quote

Does anybody know of/have experience of a UK-available mobile-data-dongle&provider that will work with Linux of course ... with the following crucially important feature(s): I want to purchase credit and "activate" the device only very occasionally but I will not have access to the physical dongle when I do this. The providers that I've checked so far (TMobile and Three) require the dongle to be the connecting device at the point of service-purchase - this won't work for me.

To explain a little more for those of you that have read this far: the plan is for it to go with my Raspberry Pi + GPS dongle into my car. When someone nicks the car, I want to able to enable the data-dongle remotely (I assume this will involve punching my IMEI and/or mobile number + credit card number into the mobile-service-provider's website) whereupon the periodic attempt by the RPi to establish a VPN into my home machine will suddenly magically work, and I will be able to connect back into the car's gpsd and hotfoot it after the criminals with my baseball bat in hand. I'm too cheap to buy a full-time data connection, hence this question.

Any thoughts most gratefully received.

James
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try GiffGaff, you activate and top up the card through a web browser, so you can do it from anywhere. You can order a SIM card from http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/nelz and it will work in any unlocked dongle - the Huawei ones are ubiquitous and work well with Linux.
kvonh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nelz - exactly what I wanted. Will report back in due course!
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth checking on the precise terms and conditions.
I have a dongle with a Vodafone (Spain) service.
That has to have credit added at least every 9 months, or else it loses its number (and usefulness to you).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: