Live distro

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Live distro

Postby dhester » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 pm

I want to run a live distro on a computer to run some python scripts, but I need to download some modules (feedparser) for the scripts to run. Would this work?
dhester

Postby johnhudson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm

It depends on the distro; many live distros are demonstration distros - so do not contain a full distribution. Python may not be included if it is not needed for the demonstration.

You may be better thinking about setting up virtual machines for testing on different systems - that is what many developers do.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 pm

I'd look for a live distro that is either easily remastered or allows you to create add on modules, otherwise you will have to download and install the python modules each time you boot.

Another option is to create a persistent filesystem on a USB stick, but that may leave you needing two devices to boot the computer.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dhester » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks for the help.
I didn't think about a virtual machine, my mind was stuck thinking about live distros that I forgot about VMs.
dhester

Postby lok1950 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 am

If you do decide to go the Live Distro route I have found Knopixx very useful the DVD version has Gnome/LDXE and KDE and there is a menu item that transfers it to a USB key so that you can then add any Deb from the repos and they are persistent.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby dhester » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:06 pm

I downloaded Knoppix with the intention of transferring it to a usb drive, but before I did that I tried running python which worked.

I them tried to load the module I needed (feedparser) but was surprised that this was already installed. I then ran my python script, which checks my gmail email and depending on the state of the messages does one of several things. This all worked as I wanted which was a pleasant surprise.

I am going to try the Virtual machine option next

Thanks everyone for the advice.
dhester

Postby lok1950 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Yeah Knoppix tends to be an everything and the kitchen sink distro :) I always have version on hand it's very handy.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Help!