USB boot stick/SOLVED

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

USB boot stick/SOLVED

Postby cbuffer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm

I have Mint 14 on my desktop and am trying to get it onto a USB memory stick to load it onto a new laptop sans optical disc. Message on the command line is that I need to install a dvd2usb dialog prog. But mint doesn't have dvd2usb in it's (ubuntu's?) repositories. Any suggestions please?
TIA

Ken
Last edited by cbuffer on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbuffer

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Are you running dvd2usb from the LXFDVD? If so, the message is telling you to install the dialog package.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby cbuffer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Yes I'm following the instructions in dvd2usb.html on the DVD (167). The implication is that it should just work and there is no dvd2usb dialog program anywhere on the DVD that I can see. I thought the dvd2usb.sh should be called auotmatically. Do you mean I should install it first, if so where?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Ken
cbuffer

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:47 pm

dvb2usb.sh is there, the program you are missing is dialog, which you should install through your distro's package manager.

dvd2usb needs dialog installed before it can work, dialog is a standard package available on any distro, and installed by default on many.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby cbuffer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Thank you nelz. I was looking for a specific dvd2usb dialog in the repositories. Hadn't realised that what was needed was a generic program.

Ken
cbuffer

Return to Help!