AntiX - 50 Distros

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

AntiX - 50 Distros

Postby Nuke » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:14 am

Where did the "O" come from in "OAntiX" ? Was that a typo, reproduced in the first page index too?

http://antix.mepis.org

I have AntiX on an old PC, and I mean a Pentium II, just for fun. In GUI mode it is too slow but I just use it as a terminal. It is a slimmed version of Mepis (both are based on Debian) which ironically is not mentioned.

But why did they put "Ultimate Edition" in the "beginner-friendly" when they describe it as "disorienting .... comprehensive ... can confuse users"?

I am also suprised how dismissive they are of CentOS : "Nearly superceded by alternatives lke scientific Linux". In Distrowatch : Centos 11th, Scientific 46th. CentOS is a fixture in the corporate server world - I believe that Netcraft runs on it for example.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Scientific has been rather quicker to get out new versions than CentOS which may be more significant for enterprise users who probably don't search Distrowatch.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby TheBigMing » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Yes - this OantiX displeased me too. It was by chance that I found it (having been v. cross that antiX hadn't rated a mention). Also (oops) Fuduntu has shut up shop apparently!

Correction please!
TheBigMing (duncan-mk)

In a fast moving age, don't dismiss old technology - like an old car, it still works!
TheBigMing

Re: AntiX - 50 Distros

Postby geekybodhi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:56 am

Hola!

Nuke wrote:I have AntiX on an old PC, and I mean a Pentium II, just for fun. In GUI mode it is too slow but I just use it as a terminal. It is a slimmed version of Mepis (both are based on Debian) which ironically is not mentioned.

Mepis hasn't had a stable release since 2011 and only had alpha releases in 2012. AntiX is a different matter. It serves a different audience and is a regularly updated.

Nuke wrote:But why did they put "Ultimate Edition" in the "beginner-friendly" when they describe it as "disorienting .... comprehensive ... can confuse users"?

We categorised the distros as per their developers intended audience. UE is meant for users used to Windows with absolutely no knowledge of how things are done in Linux-land. I just don't like their approach.

Nuke wrote:I am also suprised how dismissive they are of CentOS : "Nearly superceded by alternatives lke scientific Linux". In Distrowatch : Centos 11th, Scientific 46th. CentOS is a fixture in the corporate server world - I believe that Netcraft runs on it for example.

We're not being dismissive of CentOS. Just stating facts, and like johnhudson points out, the Scientific project churns out releases soon after the RHEL release.

Cheers!

Mayank
geekybodhi.net
geekybodhi

Postby geekybodhi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 pm

TheBigMing wrote: Also (oops) Fuduntu has shut up shop apparently!

Bummer! But I hear they are planning another distro based on OpenSUSE.
geekybodhi

Re: AntiX - 50 Distros

Postby Nuke » Sun May 05, 2013 1:01 pm

geekybodhi wrote:Mepis hasn't had a stable release since 2011 and only had alpha releases in 2012.

I hope that doesn't give anyone the impression that Mepis is defunct. There is a very active forum [url]forum.mepiscommunity.org[/url] and Mepis v12 is in preparation. Mepis is not meant to be a cutting edge distro.

johnhudson wrote:Scientific has been rather quicker to get out new versions than CentOS which may be more significant for enterprise users who probably don't search Distrowatch.

Er ..... Not sure which of CentOS or Scientific users you mean are the less inclined to use Distrowatch. But as they are both aimed at corporate and institutional users I would guess that their inclinations are about the same as each other.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs