System recovery or rollback?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

System recovery or rollback?

Postby SiriusHardware » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:31 pm

I've been running a Linux (Debian 6) PC for a while now and I've been using it quite a lot without any problems - it has been totally stable. While I was online I noticed that the 'updates available' icon up near the networking icon was showing the availability of new updates, so I allowed them to happen - bad move - it prompted an immediate crash out to the command line and the system has now become completely unstable in the desktop / GUI and crashes in anything between zero and sixty seconds.

The mass of text error messages which appear are way above my level of understanding, but what I have found is that if I start Debian in recovery mode (in which it only proceeds to the command line after logging in as root) the system will work reliably as long as I don't start 'X'. If I do, same problem, CRASH, out of the desktop in under a minute. I haven't been able to divine exactly what it is that causes the crash, indeed, there seems no common cause or factor or 'thing that I do' which prompts the crash.

My question: Can I use Aptitude to roll back to before the changes were made: Or can I at least get it to identify all updates which were made within a certain time / date window so I can manually uninstall them and reinstall them again individually?
SiriusHardware

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 pm

/var/log/apt/history.log contains details of what was installed when. If I had to guess, I'd plump for this being caused by a graphics card driver.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby SiriusHardware » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 pm

nelz wrote:/var/log/apt/history.log contains details of what was installed when. If I had to guess, I'd plump for this being caused by a graphics card driver.

Wonderful - I'll start by looking there, thank you for that.
SiriusHardware

Postby ajgreeny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 am

You can also get a very easily readable and searchable output from command
Code: Select all
grep -iw upgrade /var/log/dpkg.log.1 && grep -iw upgrade /var/log/dpkg.log
which shows line by line what packages have been upgraded recently.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Return to Help!