Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF Issues 1-65 not in archive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slartibartfast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: LXF Issues 1-65 not in archive? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've hunted about and can't find any reference to my question. Apologies if it has been previously covered.

Why does the LXF archive only go back as far as issue 66 - Firefox Take Back The Web? I'd love to see the earlier issues, issue 1 in particular.

Cheers
Slartibartfast
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It's a combination of things. Most notably, the early LXF issues don't exist as PDFs, but just as ancient Quark files. When I was at LXF Towers, trying to get the old Quark versions running on old computers and finding the old fonts etc. was a colossal process. I always hoped to add some earlier issues, but there were always more pressing things to do!

Still, we managed to dig out the text from some early articles for TuxRadar, like the distro roundup I did in issue 1 (them were't days):

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/archives-best-distros-2000

M
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a minute, I'm just going over to my magazine stacks to give issues 0-65 of LXF an affectionate pat on their spines...

... there we go, done. My fingers look a little dusty now though. Confused

Very Happy
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Hang on a minute, I'm just going over to my magazine stacks to give issues 0-65 of LXF an affectionate pat on their spines...

Very Happy

Sad the things we do Wink
Do you have Linux Answers too and all the CD/DVDs?
Gawd knows what will happen if I have to downsize Rolling Eyes Laughing Confused
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are a fair number of subscribers who may still have these issues (I have 8 of the pre-66 crop) so in order to fill the void, what if these readers scan one issue (but not all the same one Razz), then send the resulting scans to Mike, who then processes these (scripting!) into a PDF for that issue. Question then is, do you want to scan the entire issue, with all ads, or only the articles (so w/o the ads). The latter saves time, the former is the most complete for archivist purposes.

That is, if Mike has time to spend on this, of course... Laughing (and is willing to spend it on this matter!) Alternatively, perhaps Future themselves can pick this up (hint!)

Just a tuppence... Rolling Eyes
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
Rhakios wrote:

Very Happy

Sad the things we do Wink
Do you have Linux Answers too and all the CD/DVDs?
Gawd knows what will happen if I have to downsize Rolling Eyes Laughing Confused

I count Linux Answers as the zeroth issue, so yes and indeed, yes to all the CD/DVDs, as far as I know.

As for DM's suggestion, scanning magazines with glued spines is always a problem as, on a flatbed scanner, the pages don't open up fully unless you break the spine. I can't afford one of those posh multi-page document scanners, or even a wand scanner these days. Sad
Slartibartfast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: What next? Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Hi,

It's a combination of things. Most notably, the early LXF issues don't exist as PDFs, but just as ancient Quark files. When I was at LXF Towers, trying to get the old Quark versions running on old computers and finding the old fonts etc. was a colossal process. I always hoped to add some earlier issues, but there were always more pressing things to do!

Still, we managed to dig out the text from some early articles for TuxRadar, like the distro roundup I did in issue 1 (them were't days):

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/archives-best-distros-2000

M

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to get my hands on the crusty old Quark files? I would like to try to get them into pdf format.

Cheers
Slartibartfast
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What next? Reply with quote

Slartibartfast wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to get my hands on the crusty old Quark files? I would like to try to get them into pdf format.

They're stored on old archive CDs, and even if you could get the right version of Quark running on an old Mac (or Mac OS 9 in an emulator) you'd need the images linked to in the documents, the original fonts (otherwise the layout would be messed up), and so forth. And then there are copyright issues with the old fonts, content etc.

So thanks for offering to help, but I just don't think it's doable now! Still, I'm not an Official LXF Team Member(tm), so maybe another solution will come up.

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: