Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XP runs out next April
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narendra wrote:
I use Ubuntu and its installed with WINE but it does not install Photoshop Elements 11!

I haven't used WINE in ages, but according to this page:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1794

Photoshop Elements 11 gets a Silver, so it should work pretty well.

M
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's using WINE 1.5, the development version. Ubuntu comes with 1.4 whch doesn't handle nearly as much. Adding the WINE PPA gets you the recent releases.
Narendra
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies.

If all this works, I won't need XP.

Thank you again.
darry1966

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: XP runs out next April Reply with quote

Narendra wrote:
Hello,

I understand Windows XP runs out next April and there will not any security patches from the Microsoft then on. If I install Xp in VIRTUALBOX as a guest to Ubuntu 13.04, will that be safe? Actually I have that kind of configuration at the moment and do not wish to discard XP. Please advise!
Thank you.

If you want to use XP for running your programs you could just use a Linux Live CD for Surfing the Net and save your settings as a save file it is better than having to wipe XP and having to boot it virtually until your ready to use Linux full time.
Narendra
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply.
But the Live CD won't run the softwares that run on XP! Softwares like Photoshop Elements 11 or Adobe Photoshop!
If there is a way, please let me know!
Narendra.
darry1966

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narendra wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply.
But the Live CD won't run the softwares that run on XP! Softwares like Photoshop Elements 11 or Adobe Photoshop!
If there is a way, please let me know!
Narendra.

Sorry I just meant keep your XP install for running your favourite sottware like photoshop etc. Boot into Linux to do your surfing - so you will be more secure as well as retaining windows for non-internet stuff. Use a pen drive to keep a save file.
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: XP runs out next April Reply with quote

Why would anybody in their right mind want to run XP? It's rubbish! The 64 bit version has problems with drivers, and the 32 bit version is, well, 32 bit! Stuck with media player 9 and ie 9 I think? What is the point in that when you could run LUBUNTU 13.o4?

Narendra wrote:
Hello,

I understand Windows XP runs out next April and there will not any security patches from the Microsoft then on. If I install Xp in VIRTUALBOX as a guest to Ubuntu 13.04, will that be safe? Actually I have that kind of configuration at the moment and do not wish to discard XP. Please advise!
Thank you.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: XP runs out next April Reply with quote

You're better off installing Windows 7, and turning off all the fancy gui stuff. And if not powerful enough still, upgrade your hardware. A decent PCI graphics card isn't very expensive at all. A possible problem could be if you're at your max ram. Just upgrade your motherboard, and throw the old one away. Why do people insist on trying to run old / often faulty hardware? What is the point. It's really not that expensive to stick a new motherboard in with ram / onboard graphics etc.

Alex01UK wrote:
Why would anybody in their right mind want to run XP? It's rubbish! The 64 bit version has problems with drivers, and the 32 bit version is, well, 32 bit! Stuck with media player 9 and ie 9 I think? What is the point in that when you could run LUBUNTU 13.o4?

Narendra wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darry1966

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: XP runs out next April Reply with quote

[quote="Alex01UK"]You're better off installing Windows 7, and turning off all the fancy gui stuff. And if not powerful enough still, upgrade your hardware. A decent PCI graphics card isn't very expensive at all. A possible problem could be if you're at your max ram. Just upgrade your motherboard, and throw the old one away. Why do people insist on trying to run old / often faulty hardware? What is the point. It's really not that expensive to stick a new motherboard in with ram / onboard graphics etc.

[quote="Alex01UK"]Why would anybody in their right mind want to run XP? It's rubbish! The 64 bit version has problems with drivers, and the 32 bit version is, well, 32 bit! Stuck with media player 9 and ie 9 I think? What is the point in that when you could run LUBUNTU 13.o4?

Agree I like windows 7 but heh some people prefer XP bless em.

As for your legacy hardware point there are probably several reasons but for many the biggest one is probably a lack of funds to be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

My legacy stuff works just great and is still pretty grunty for its age. It can do everything I need it do and more with my special customised DIY operating system which I am pretty damn proud of.

So I think we should stop this tiresome need to put people down who run what they do it does nothing for the community and only puts newcomers off. My point a person's financial situation should not penalise them from being able to use a computer because they can't afford the latest and greatest take a look at this as an example of this in New Zealand http://www.molten.org.nz/.

Some people have software which won't run on the latest windows which runs on XP.

If you enjoy the latest and greatest good for you. So have a great day and enjoy your Ubuntu - glad you like it.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: