Debian 7 Gnome desktop horrors

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Debian 7 Gnome desktop horrors

Postby guy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 am

So, I have finally got my toolbars the colour I want, but the few icons are stark white and they and the legends all sit in black boxes. I can't find the right buzzwords to lead me to the answer, even assuming there is one. Any ideas?

But what a shambles! First, the default install scrambled some of the character set, rendering some letters correctly but others, such as 'e' as blocky blobs. Switching to Gnome Classic fixed that.

Then, no System menu - until I find its options munged into the Applications menu. Except, dear Gnomes, did anybody tell you that most of those system settings are not Apps? Now, I know that you regard your users as uninformed and unintelligent over things systemic and barely able to read, but isn't that precisely why you should avoid presenting system GUI apps as user activity apps?

And customising the desktop. The background and the theme and different bits of the toolbar customisation all set in wildly different parts of the forest, those system settings sure are "out of the user's way". Look you Gnome guys, the idea of focusing on UX is to get the geeky system tweaking out of the user's way, not to get the simple UX choices out of the user's way!

If this had been a smartphone or a tablet, I'd have flushed it down the lavvy in disgust by now. Truly a step backwards almost comparable to Windows 8 (TM).

Apparently Linus is back onto Gnome. What does he know that I don't?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Time to ditch Gnome. I did so from my last device a year ago.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Why I am still using Debian 6.0 like the folks on the ISS migrating to it from Windoze :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby pastychomper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:08 pm

When I upgraded from Squeeze to Wheezy, the Gnome desktop tried to load, flickered, then switched to "classic." There was a notification balloon to tell me why, but it was positioned partly off-screen so I'm still none the wiser. So I didn't get to try Gnome's Hell (or however it's supposed to be typed), but the "classic" is anything but a classic.

Thankfully I found a bug-fix: XFCE is fast, stable and extremely customisable - a lot like Gnome was ten years ago in fact! :lol: All I had to do then was replace GDM3 with GDM2 (which was a lot easier than I'd thought), reinstate 3-button emulation in X.org, and the desktop was as good as it was in Squeeze! :roll:

This raises a question: How many of the recent changes in the big Linux desktops were actually proposed by Microsoft moles?
pastychomper

Postby guy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:35 pm

pastychomper wrote:This raises a question: How many of the recent changes in the big Linux desktops were actually proposed by Microsoft moles?

I prefer the conspiracy theory: we deliberately infested our desktops with crap ideas, knowing that Microsoft (TM) would rip them off and, unlike us, leave themselves no way to back down and revert.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Gnome Blues

Postby darry1966 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Yes guys it is a shame that Gnome isn't quality like it was.

Xfce is a good choice pity debian didn't stick with this as default.

What are the opinions on LXDE and also its move to QT.
O.S. AnitaOS based on Puppy Linux 4.12 Barebones - a distro for retro computers and newer.
darry1966

Postby heiowge » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:53 am

I use MATE and KDE. I haven't bothered with Gnome since Gnome 3 came out.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby SiriusHardware » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:01 pm

I've just read somewhere, possibly in LXF, that Debian 8 ('Jessie') is proposing to defect to XFCE. I recently installed Debian 7 because I had liked Debian 6 and its default desktop - my first thought upon trying to use Debian 7, not unlike the first time I saw Windows 8, was... 'what on earth were they thinking when they did this?'
SiriusHardware

Postby lok1950 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Just settling into a new fedora 20 install :) with Gnome 3 and MATE will be adding KDE and XFCE when I figure out how to add a local repro from the install DVD on a cellular dongle for connectivity so trying to minimize the downloading and with fedora's delta RPMs it sure saves on bandwidth.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Discussion