Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installing a distro using qemu from the dvd?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boudiccas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: installing a distro using qemu from the dvd? Reply with quote

I've been a subscriber to 'Linux Format' for many years now and have accumulated lots of installation DVD's. I've recently become interested in virtual machines, and so I'm looking to install some distros off the dvd's. But how? There are no iso's, and no recognisable script for doing so.

So, is it possible for me to install using qemu/cli a single distro off the dvd's, without having to download the iso's off the net please? i've googled for it and come up with a blank, but I want to run the dvd as part of a normal session, install a distro from the dvd , and then take the dvd out of the caddy - job done!

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Sharon.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install direct from the DVD, it's how I test the distros on the DVD in the first place.

Code:
qemu hd.img -cdrom /dev/dvd -any-other-options

Or you can use the dvd2usb script to generate a hybrid ISO image and pass that file to qemu as the image file.

Recent DVDs contain a MakeISO script in most of the distro's directories, which creates an ISO of just that distro, but this is unnecessary for use with an emulator.
boudiccas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: installing a distro using qemu from the dvd? Reply with quote

I've tried 'qemu ~/qemu/test.img -cdrom /media/cdrom0 -any-other-options' with zero success.

So I tried using 'MakeISO' after copying it to /usr/local/bin, which failed because I use debian-testing, which does not have 'mkisofs' as it uses 'genoisoimage'.

But I have been successful with a pre-downloaded image of '173.iso' from the linux format archives. It loads and I've been able to start a iso and get the graphical menus displaying.

Maybe that is the only way in which I can successfully get distros to test with 'aqemu'.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving MakeISO from its location on the DVD is guaranteed to break it.

If you just want an ISO of the whole DVD, use dvd2usb.sh from the DVD, which creates such an ISO.

That's interesting about MakeISO not working on Debian, I shall modify it to look for either mkisofs or genisoimage in future.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: