Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit out of date - sub-editor asleep?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: A bit out of date - sub-editor asleep? Reply with quote

There haven't been any Novell supported distros for two years (p. 38 ) - JPEGs are all but a deprecated format (pp. 84-85) and <div>s have definitely been deprecated for over two years (pp. 90-91).
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A bit out of date - sub-editor asleep? Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
JPEGs are all but a deprecated format

News to me. Citation? It's a pity because my camera only saves in RAW or JPEG, and the vast majority of pics I see on the Web and elsewhere are in JPEG.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The default bitmap format in HTML5 is image/png; of course, all photos are by default JPG but there is little point in downloading RAW images if you are ultimately going to save them as JPEG.

Most of the programs I use which have a default bitmap format use PNG. Ever since I started using Linux, I have seen a gradual trend away from JPEGs; a quick count shows I have 32 times more PNGs (from icons to images) on my system than JPGs (a miniscule number of those PNGs were generated by me).
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That PNG supports an alpha channel makes it my preferred format much easier to use as textures etc.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: