In at the deep end....

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

In at the deep end....

Postby Mighty_Cheese » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:40 pm

First forum post so I thought I'd make it interesting.

Just revived an Acer Apire One AOD150 - the one that had the Linpus distro. Took a BIOS flashing and an extra monitor to install an operating system.

Basically I have a tiny low power netbook with no working LCD, does anyone have suggestions about setting it to use? Already have all the computing power i need, (including a Raspberry Pi :D), but can't stand to see this tiny blue box go to waste. Suggestions for how to apply it and distros to use (spent a night reading through Distrowatch, but still undecided) will be gratefully accepted!
"You've heard Queen,
You've heard Squeeze,
But you ain't heard nothing like the Mighty Cheese"
Mighty_Cheese

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 pm

Try figuring out what LCD panel is in that device and if it can be obtained as spare part from Asia. As a screen-less device, options are limited to non-graphical stuff, i.e. servers. Portable game server (LAN parties! :D), download server or even local mirror of your chosen distro. If you go the server route, stick to tried-and-tested: Debian, Slackware, Fedora (in that order, but that's personal ;)) If you want to learn more about Linux and what makes it tick and how it's done, try Linux from Scratch (LFS) or Gentoo. Expect a steep learning curve :P
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:07 am

I too have an AA1, but the model with HDD and WindowsXP.
If I recall correctly Mint was the best ad-hoc distro to use, since you could get the wireless interface working without much messing (but I think it needed the info from the Windows driver - which I could supply).

Is the screen bust? or was that an unwarranted assumption?
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby Mighty_Cheese » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:35 am

@dandnsmith - yes several years ago a laundry basket was plonked on top of the poor little netbook, fatally cracking the LCD

@Dutch_Master - I have literally just found a source for a new LCD, so it won't be headless much longer

I was considering LFS, I cross compiled my own OS a while back and it would be a nice project. hadn't thought of Gentoo, but had considered mint, although I was thinking that I would have to use one of the lighter UIs simply because the little AA1 won't be able to cope?
"You've heard Queen,
You've heard Squeeze,
But you ain't heard nothing like the Mighty Cheese"
Mighty_Cheese

Return to Hardware