Synaptics touchpad

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

What's your preferred pointing device on a laptop ?

Trackpad
25%
Mouse
42%
Nipple
33%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 12

Synaptics touchpad

Postby Nigel » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:45 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm happily running SuSE 9.2 on my laptop, usually with a USB mouse. The machine also has a Synaptics touchpad which I use when I can't be bothered to plug the mouse in.
However, I'm getting really frustrated with it because it's too sensitive. And I can't stand the "tap to click" function - I keep clicking when I don't want to. And I'm forever brushing it with my palms whilst typing (and it still works even with the USB mouse plugged in).

Under Windows, the Synaptics driver allows you to turn tapping off and to adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad. Is there an equivalent for Linux ? If so, could someone please point me in the right direction ?

Many thanks,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Synaptics touchpad

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:05 am

There is a way to turn it off, I did so on another laptop. ISTR it was somewhere in xorg.conf.

I don't particularly like trackpads, I much preferred the nipple on my old Thinkpad.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Synaptics touchpad

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:14 am

nelz wrote:I don't particularly like trackpads, I much preferred the nipple on my old Thinkpad.

Toshiba also used to use nipples, 'twas a dark day when they switched to trackpads.
Turning the trackpad off completely on this laptop is a last-ditch solution - I'd really prefer to tune it so I can live with it. That way if I forget to take a USB mouse with me I can still use the laptop.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Synaptics touchpad

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:17 am

Indeed, with SuSE9.2 and 9.3 I had to do a lot of fiddling to get my touchpad on my Toshiba laptop to work sensibly. SuSE10 is rather nice in that it has relieved me of the need to do this, it works just fine :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Nobber » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:42 am

A few years ago I used tpconfig to turn off the tap-to-click feature on my HP Omnibook's touchpad. It worked fine.
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:13 am

That looks promising... I'll give it a try this evening.

Many thanks :)
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:38 am

According to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad you can disable the tap-to-annoy-you feature by setting MaxTapTime to zero in xorg.conf.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:45 pm

Even better :D
Will give this a try when I get home.

Do you know of anyone who actually likes the "tap" feature ?

nelz - am I right in thinking you use an ibook ? What (if anything) do you do about the touchpad on that ? (I'm considering investing in an ibook if I get a decent Xmas bonus this year).
Nigel
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Synaptics touchpad

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:01 pm

Nigel wrote:Do you know of anyone who actually likes the "tap" feature ?

Plumbers or dancers? :D

Nigel wrote:nelz - am I right in thinking you use an ibook ? What (if anything) do you do about the touchpad on that ? (I'm considering investing in an ibook if I get a decent Xmas bonus this year).

Nothing, I downloaded an xorg.conf from http://www.alessandroronchi.net/wiki/LinuxOnIBookG4 and it just worked. The single mouse button is a bit of a pain, but it is easy enough to map F11/F12 to the middle/right buttons.
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Synaptics touchpad

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:10 pm

Love the new sig, nelz :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Synaptics touchpad

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:48 pm

Make the most of it. It's a one day special! :D
nelz
Site admin

Postby SiriusHardware » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Bumping this because the topic is essentially the same, so continuing it here to keep it all in one thread.

I have a low-cost wired USB combined keyboard and touchpad which I want to use with various Linux computers, most notably the Raspberry Pi but also with whatever my current PC Linux happens to be - at the moment, Zorin OS 6.

As some of you have already said above, tap-to-click is one of those ideas which probably seemed a good idea at the time, like leaded fuel. I can't stand it, and I find it impossible to use a touchpad if I can't turn it off.

My problem is that this particular touchpad is not picked up as a Synaptics touchpad by any Linux distro that I have tried it with to date, and is therefore just evaluated and treated as a mouse. As a result of this, if I go into the desktop setup menus I see only mouse adjustment options, no option to turn the touchpad features on or off.

Here's the start of the problem: (this is from a Raspberry Pi, but the problem is the same on other machines/distros)

Code: Select all
$synclient
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

after installing tpconfig:

$tpconfig
Could not open PS/2 Port [dev/psaux]

Ok, this is a USB device. I'll have to point it at the real location of the Mouse.

$tpconfig --device=/dev/input/mouse0
Found Synaptics Touchpad.
Firmware: 8.96 (Multiple-byte mode).

So tpconfig thinks it has found a Synaptics touchpad but Linux doesn't pick it up as such. Well, let's try some of the options on tpconfig.

$tpconfig --device=/dev/input/mouse0 --tapmode=0 --info
Found Synaptics Touchpad.
Firmware: 8.96 (Multiple-byte mode).
Corner taps disabled;         no tap gestures
Edge motion: None.
Z threshold: 6 of 7
2 button mode; corner tap is right button click.

The problem here is that, no matter whether I try this before starting X, or I go into X and try it in a terminal window there and then exit back to X, tap-to-click is not disabled, not even momentarily -

I can appreciate that what I'm doing here is only programming the Synaptics touchpad in realtime, so every time it powers up it will revert to its default modes. The real problem seems to be that the 'device' I am programming with tpconfig and the device actually being used for mouse/pointer input are not the same thing.

How do I:

Find out what driver Linux is currently using for mouse / pointer input, and can I prevent it from loading that driver and force the synaptics driver to load?
SiriusHardware

Return to Hardware