Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

apt-get upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: apt-get upgrade Reply with quote

Before I get meself into more probs, I am using Mint 15 64bit and wish to install Mint 14 64bit and then perform the subject upgrade to Mint 15, but without all the additional screens.

Will it simply perform the task or download an ISO file, which I will have to blast to a cd?

Many thanks for advice

David

Semper in Excretam...
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand what you're trying to do, but in any case apt-get works at package level. It will never download an ISO.

If you want to install Mint 14 and then upgrade it to Mint 15, you could edit /etc/apt/sources.list after installing Mint 14, to point it at the Mint 15 repos, and then do apt-get update, followed by apt-get upgrade. But it's a cack-handed way to do the job.
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: apt-get upgrade Reply with quote

Roseway, thank you for your swift reply.
I am trying to change from Nelzīs instructive mega-mix of Mint 15 to the bog-standard 15 64bit Cinnamon.
Cinnamon presently runs as slowly as treacle, and I suspect the overhead of the extra load of the different GUIs is setting my ageing system too much of a challenge.
Best regards

David
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the other GUIs don't do anything (except take up disk space) unless you use them. I suspect Cinnamon isn't all that friendly for older systems. I switched my Nettop to XFCE after finding Cinnamon too slow (it's still installed, I just don't use it).
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: apt-get upgrade Reply with quote

Rhakios, thank you for your insight. I did wonder meself, but then, at my age I do a lot of that....

Best

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: apt-get upgrade Reply with quote

Thinking some, (thereīs posh!), I have used Cinnamon 32-bit for almost 2 years, and it is only recently that I switched to 64 bit. I am minded to install Mint 14 32 with Cinnamon and see how it goes.

Any observations?

Best

David
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you install another distro, take a look at your graphics card drivers. Cinnamon uses 3D acceleration so if you don't have the right drivers it will be slow.
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: apt-get upgrade Reply with quote

Nelz, many thanks for your overview.

Driver Manager reports:

nVidia Corp: G98 (GeForce 8400 GS Rev 2
Driver is nVidia - 310 - recommended

At the bottom Ļ(1 proprietary driver in use).

So all seems well there, and the system sees the correct screen type and resolution.

I seem to recall reading somewhere of a possible 64-bit performance hit and wonder if 64-bit is just over the safe limit for my ageing kit? Should I revert to 32-bit?

I would much value your advice in this matter.

Best rgards

David
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: