How long have I been using computers?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Alex01UK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 am

1slipperyfish (troll) (troll) wrote:1oth birthday in 82 did you mean 100th?? how old are you? are you a jedi master??
paul

Keep up at the Bach! I was born in Feb. '72 (Which makes me a Pisces - Water Rat in Chinese) so in '82, I would have been 1o, but that's not strictly 1oo% accurate. Okay, I'll give you a clue. My birthday is after 28th Feb, but before 1st March. Do you get it yet? I'm 9 years old. Leap years ThatIs. ;) 8)

--
Benjamin Kenobi.
www.newmatrixism.com
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby pastychomper » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 am

Ah I used to want a ZX81 for the coolness value, but the only one I got was the sharpened one that was thrown at me in the Very Big Cave Adventure. I had to content myself with playing with the Spectrum's screensaver for geekness.

All this talk of ancient technology reminds me of the ole' story of when Noah was overseeing the repopulation of the Earth after the flood. The various pairs of animals were spreading out over the land and (aside from the initial difficulties with the termites) things seemed to be going well. After a year or so he noticed that one of the pairs of snakes still hadn't managed to breed. He checked that he hadn't made any silly mistakes (yes, same species, different gender, seem to like the habitat...) but nothing was forthcoming. It wasn't until the second autumn, by which time his sons had all built houses and moved out of the ark, that he finally heard the slither of tiny bellies in the grass.

"What took you so long?" he asked.

One of the snakes replied, "We had to wait until one of you lot started cutting wood to heat his house. We're adders - we can't multiply without logs."
pastychomper

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:27 am

so you're retired at 41?? are you a dot.com millionaire??
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:02 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) (troll) wrote:so you're retired at 41?? are you a dot.com millionaire??
paul

Yes. I'm a Night Club DJ. Retired New Year's Eve '99; as you do....
Bach Slash Hat Dot 2 Dot dot com was mine. np3.com was mine also; nasal protocol three; digital cocaine; teledildonics is where the phuture is; yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessses. What is the best way to cook a troll? Grill, Fry or Roast? ;) 8) It is time to feed Sinbad & Napolean soon. They are big kats, not that you're a Christian?

--
Alex Armani, Digital Musician.
www.newmatrixism.com

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Alex01UK wrote:
1slipperyfish (troll) (troll) (troll) wrote:so you're retired at 41?? are you a dot.com millionaire??
paul

Yes. I'm a Night Club DJ. Retired New Year's Eve '99; as you do....
Bach Slash Hat Dot 2 Dot dot com was mine. np3.com was mine also; nasal protocol three; digital cocaine; teledildonics is where the phuture is; yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessses. What is the best way to cook a troll? Grill, Fry or Roast? ;) 8) It is time to feed Sinbad & Napolean soon. They are big kats, not that you're a Christian?

--
www.newmatrixism.com

are you joking again sockpuppet?? are you a user of crack ?? were you a sockpuppet in showbiz?? were you in zig and zag??
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Alex01UK » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:46 am

Are you Porl Oakenfold?
--

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 am

I was born in 1982, which has been scientifically proven to be the coolest year to be born.

I also went through the Commodore (the computer, not the band) path to computing, which has been scientifically proven to be the second coolest path into computing (the coolest being through the band).

I did have an Atari with the delightful wood effect on the finish, but that was but a casual fling into the world of consoles. When I got my Commodore 64 my cool path was set, and I immediately broke off ties to all acquaintances with Spectrums.
Brian Hunter

Postby Bazza » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi BH...

My A1200(HD) is on 24/7 and I still code for it. Usually Python stuff these days as we lowly classic AMIGA users only have Python 1.4.0 to 2.0.1, (now 2.4.x)...

My last upload to AMINET was at the beginning of this month... ;oO

http://aminet.net/package/dev/src/BIG_TIME.py

Just reached 210 DLs... Oooooh... ;oO

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Alex01UK wrote:Are you Porl Oakenfold?
--

no oakenfold is a trance god where i am not a trance god 8)
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Brian Hunter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Bazza wrote:Hi BH...

My A1200(HD) is on 24/7 and I still code for it. Usually Python stuff these days as we lowly classic AMIGA users only have Python 1.4.0 to 2.0.1, (now 2.4.x)...

My last upload to AMINET was at the beginning of this month... ;oO

http://aminet.net/package/dev/src/BIG_TIME.py

Just reached 210 DLs... Oooooh... ;oO

That makes me so pleased to hear! I had an Amiga 1200 as well. I was the envy of all my Amiga 500 friends!
Brian Hunter

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:15 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) (troll) wrote:
Alex01UK wrote:Are you Porl Oakenfold?
--

no oakenfold is a trance god where i am not a trance god 8)
paul

E'z not a troll; he's a Knob Gobblin'!
Sorry, my bad; wont do it again ;) 8)

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Mighty_Cheese » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:55 pm

I have never used slide rules, but we did have abaci ( ? hopes it doesn't pluralise like octopus :P) when I was at primary school. Graphing calculators were the norm whilst I studied my A-level Maths and Physics, however for some reason I seem to remember that they took them away in the statistics and mechanics exams and gave us log/trig/normal distribution tables instead. Probably the closest that I could get to appreciating the beauty of working with those tools. I suspect that the ability to simply press a button without understanding the function behind it could be the downfall of modern society :P

back to the Plot... My dear old aged Pa got a ZX81 when I was 8, it was fun to attempt to make it write rude words like "bum" and "poo" ( i WAS 8!!) all over the monitor.

It seems strange that back then we had more computing power in our house/street/village due to that one machine than I saw all the way till I was in Secondary education at school! Computing/IT/Programming were not even options, apart from some desultory prodding at "educational software" in a room of 12 BBC Machines between 34 kids. I suspect that the inability to press buttons to implement the understanding of the function behind the one button may also contribute to the above mentioned downfall!
"You've heard Queen,
You've heard Squeeze,
But you ain't heard nothing like the Mighty Cheese"
Mighty_Cheese

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:39 pm

I remember being shown a 1Mb removable hard drive cassette in a careers lecture shortly before I left 6th form.
It was the size of a washing machine drum.
I first used a HP 4bit processor computer with a 2 digit Led display on a training course when I was in my twenties.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm

The first computer I worked on was an Atlas/Titan. I never saw it though, I only wrote on coding sheets and collected printed output days later.

I have also worked on an analog computer. I worked hands-on with this; effectively it was all mine for one morning a week (doing train suspension simulations). It had exchangable patch panels (about 1m square), so that it could be used for different projects just by changing panels. The panel was a checkerboard of bright colours (red for amplifiers, yellow for switches and so on) in which you plugged patch leads like an old telephone exchange.

The analog computer was a very engaging thing compared with the dreary monochrome paper output of digital computers of the time - which was usually on ghastly fan-fold with faint green lines across (a bit like music paper) and sprocket holes up the side. This paper was in landscape format and too large (and usually too faint) to put on a photocopier.

The first time I saw a mini-computer was when I also first saw a floppy (8 inch) which the installation engineer told us could contain a year's work of a programmer. I was impressed. It was assumed that one would only ever use a computer to write and run your own programs, to solve some technical problem. You still communicated with that mini through a teletype terminal. [Fire up bash and do ls /dev/tty* - that "tty" stands for "teletype" although no-one has seen one for years]

That was not long after someone said the World would never need more than six computers. I have at least six in the room here with me now.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby guy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:17 am

I remember as a kid helping Dad grow flax so we could make string for my school abacus. The soil was stony and I drilled out some of them to replace the beads I had lost. Dad wanted to know why we didn't use the old notched sticks or piles of (undrilled) pebbles for counting, I had to explain that knives and free rocks were banned from school under Health and Safety regulations. Oh! the joy when we all started bringing in our clay "tablet computers" and passing silly messages to each other under Teacher's very nose. Those were soon banned too.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Off Topic