Looking for extundelete ISO

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby stuarte9 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi all,

Well, it has finally happened. I have gone and accidentally deleted a bunch of files from my /home account on the separate /home hdd which uses ext3. So far I have been able to refrain from placing new files on the /home hdd.

I know that there is a utility called extundelete which can recover (some) files from an ext3 partition. What I have not been able to find is some sort of recovery ISO built around this and similar tools that can be burned to CD/DVD.

Does anyone know of such an ISO and from where it can be downloaded ?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give with this.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby buck0 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:57 pm

I think Parted Magic has extundelete as well as ext3grep although it may now be a commercial product.
buck0

Postby nelz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:31 pm

System Rescue CD - see http://www.sysresccd.org/Detailed-packages-list

You'll also find it on the occasional cover disc.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby stuarte9 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:55 am

Good morning folks,

Thanks for the quick replies.

@buck0:
I have a copy of Parted Magic burned to CD. I don't remember the version number off hand and if an icon for extundelete appeared on the PM desktop. I'll have another/deeper look for it. Thanks for the pointer.

@nelz:
I have a copy of System Rescue CD 2.0 burned to CD. I don't remember the name of this utility appearing at the CLI. Again, I'll have another/deeper look for it. WRT appearing on the cover disc, do you happen to remember (roughly?) the last time that extundelete appeared there ? For instance, was it within the last year ? Once again, thanks for the pointer.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby nelz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 pm

The page I linked to was the package list for the current release, and extundelete was there. 2.0 is very old, it's up to 3.8.0 now.

It's on DVD 178, but that's not much help to you right now. Probably best to download the latest.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby stuarte9 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:00 am

Good morning nelz,

Thanks for another very(!) quick response.

As the System Rescue CD ISO is larger than my thumb/flash drives, I guess that I'll probably use extundelete from DVD 178, provided that I can install from the DVD directly onto my system HDD without anything being deposited onto my /home HDD and thereby oeverwriting at least one of the files that I'm trying to recover.

Thanks again for the DVD pointer.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby nelz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:02 am

You must have very small thumbs, it's only around 420MB :) I haven't seen a sub-1GB flash drive in ages.

You don't install System Rescue CD, just boot from it, either the USB drive or directly from the LXFDVD.
nelz
Site admin

Postby stuarte9 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:16 am

Good morning again nelz,

Jings! Another "speed of thought" reply! ;-)

WRT the flash drives: one of them is only 128 MB. It "says" it's going to be a "proper" little flash drive when it grows up. :-)

The other is 2GB but with only 123MB free. So, I guess I'll be booting System Rescue CD from the LXFDVD 178.

Thanks again for the help.

Stuart
stuarte9

Return to Help!