architecture mismatch

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

architecture mismatch

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 pm

hello. I've got a vps that was originally 32bit but I had to switch to a 64bit kernel for various reasons.

now when I do
Code: Select all
$ uname -m
x86_64

but when I do
$ dpkg --print-architecture
i386

I'm trying to install a gem which I believe is installing a 64bit version of a dependency and then use the 32bit version of it...

I've tried to install build-essentials:amd64, however dpkg-dev:amd64 keeps switching to dpkg-dev for some reason

Is there a way to change what architecture dpkg thinks it is? I've tried a couple of ways from the internets but none have worked. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04

Just for info I'm trying to install 'therubyracer' gem which doesn't seem to be particularly reliable at installing, but I have tried many things suggested on the intertubes, and it installs without a hitch on my 64bit desktop...
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Re: architecture mismatch

Postby Nuke » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:33 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:now when I do
$ uname -m
x86_64

but when I do
i386

Funny, I've just tried it and I get :-

amd64

$ uname -m
x86_64

In fact I have an amd64 ; maybe uname (of which I had never heard) has itself never heard of amd64 :wink:

Like I have just been doing some ext4 disk formatting, and find I must use the mke2fs utility, the "e2" meaning ext2.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:38 pm

When Intel adopted the amd64 architecture, it was given the generic name of x86_64, so the two things mean exactly the same.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!