Chrubuntu

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Chrubuntu

Postby Nuke » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:53 pm

My laptop has just died, and I am thinking of getting a Chromebook to replace it, as I refuse to pay Windows tax. I hear that it is possible to install Linux on them with some hacking, dual booting with Chrome, and that there is even a distro aimed at it - Chrubuntu (based on everyone's favourite distro :roll: with a xfce GUI). There does not seem to be a website for Chrubuntu however.

Has anyone any experience of getting Linux onto a Chromebook? (The HP 14" Pavillion looks good).

Sad that many of the customer reviews for Chromebooks are mostly along the lines :-

When I got it home I couldn't believe it - No Windows!!! How can anyone use it, it doesn't even have Office!!! #@*%ing USELESS!!!!! Zero out of ten !!

I despair.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:22 pm

There is a description of how to do it with openSUSE at https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:ARMChromebook
johnhudson
LXF regular

Re: Chrubuntu

Postby Alex01UK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Nuke wrote:My laptop has just died, and I am thinking of getting a Chromebook to replace it, as I refuse to pay Windows tax. I hear that it is possible to install Linux on them with some hacking, dual booting with Chrome, and that there is even a distro aimed at it - Chrubuntu (based on everyone's favourite distro :roll: with a xfce GUI). There does not seem to be a website for Chrubuntu however.

ChromeOS is Linux right? Google's version of Linux I thought? Why would you want to run a version of Linux that had not been designed for the hardware in a Chromebook / Chromepad / Chromebox etc? I'm getting The HP 14'' Chromebook for our lass for her birthday. I'm looking forward to playing with it, before I give it to her. You know setting it all up propper like! ;)

Maybe you'd have to but an external USB harddrive though if you wanted to install Linux though?
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Re: Chrubuntu

Postby Nuke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 am

Alex01UK wrote:ChromeOS is Linux right? Google's version of Linux I thought? Why would you want to run a version of Linux that had not been designed for the hardware in a Chromebook / Chromepad / Chromebox etc?

You are quite right, and I am aware that ChromeOS is a version of Linux; my post was a bit sloppily written in that respect. However, I understand that ChromeOS is a very locked down and customised version (I'd hardly call it a "distro") geared to using Google's cloud services. I want a general purpose distro, which I understand Chrubuntu is, and clearly it is designed for Chromebook hardware (it's written by a Google engineer).
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Help!