Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chrubuntu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Chrubuntu Reply with quote

My laptop has just died, and I am thinking of getting a Chromebook to replace it, as I refuse to pay Windows tax. I hear that it is possible to install Linux on them with some hacking, dual booting with Chrome, and that there is even a distro aimed at it - Chrubuntu (based on everyone's favourite distro Rolling Eyes with a xfce GUI). There does not seem to be a website for Chrubuntu however.

Has anyone any experience of getting Linux onto a Chromebook? (The HP 14" Pavillion looks good).

Sad that many of the customer reviews for Chromebooks are mostly along the lines :-

When I got it home I couldn't believe it - No Windows!!! How can anyone use it, it doesn't even have Office!!! #@*%ing USELESS!!!!! Zero out of ten !!

I despair.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a description of how to do it with openSUSE at https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:ARMChromebook
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrubuntu Reply with quote

Nuke wrote:
My laptop has just died, and I am thinking of getting a Chromebook to replace it, as I refuse to pay Windows tax. I hear that it is possible to install Linux on them with some hacking, dual booting with Chrome, and that there is even a distro aimed at it - Chrubuntu (based on everyone's favourite distro Rolling Eyes with a xfce GUI). There does not seem to be a website for Chrubuntu however.

ChromeOS is Linux right? Google's version of Linux I thought? Why would you want to run a version of Linux that had not been designed for the hardware in a Chromebook / Chromepad / Chromebox etc? I'm getting The HP 14'' Chromebook for our lass for her birthday. I'm looking forward to playing with it, before I give it to her. You know setting it all up propper like! Wink

Maybe you'd have to but an external USB harddrive though if you wanted to install Linux though?

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Chrubuntu Reply with quote

Alex01UK wrote:

ChromeOS is Linux right? Google's version of Linux I thought? Why would you want to run a version of Linux that had not been designed for the hardware in a Chromebook / Chromepad / Chromebox etc?

You are quite right, and I am aware that ChromeOS is a version of Linux; my post was a bit sloppily written in that respect. However, I understand that ChromeOS is a very locked down and customised version (I'd hardly call it a "distro") geared to using Google's cloud services. I want a general purpose distro, which I understand Chrubuntu is, and clearly it is designed for Chromebook hardware (it's written by a Google engineer).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: