Re: LXF72

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: LXF72

Postby tommieb » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:12 pm

Howdy, I recently acquired LXF72, what attracted me to it was Gentoo 2005.1 distro, so off I went and got jiggy with jigdo :D , jigdo failed to create a universal gentoo installation cd #1, it created gentoo packages cd #2. I am very disappointed, it seems the template file is screwy, there's two files missing - when generating the first cd, it said 178 of 180 files found, so I tracked down the first file which was TK804_27.tar.bz2 (i think), reran jigdo, then it was 179 of 180 files found as reported by jigdo...any ideas what is the other missing filename??? :(

Best regards,
Tom. :D
tommieb

RE: Re: LXF72

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:15 am

Hi Tom,

It worked in my test run when preparing the discs, but I'll retry it with a magazine version...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby wathead » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:38 am

I also had trouble. I couldnt get it to work at all on my Linux Box. I kept getting an error about line 44. I even got out the DVD with FC4 on it and made the ISOs just to make sure my box wasnt broken.
I then tried it on XP pro (UGH) I got the found 178 out of 180 files as well and the next ISO went without a hitch. I changed the first one from install.iso.tmp to install.iso and burned it anyway. It appears to have worked allright just missing 2 files. I dont know how important they are as I havent installed yet. Dont know that I will. I use the source files alot from gentoo on other distros.
This is the first time I have had a problem with a cover disc and have been buying the Mag for about 4 years.
The cover disc is a Godsend. I am stuck on dialup as the powers that be cant seem fit to provide broadband 2 miles outside of Corvette City USA. The 3rd or 4th largest city in the State. Bowling Green KY USA. That is bell south and $$$$$$$$ for Ya.
Keep up the good work. I am sure there is a work around for the ISO delimia. Copying files and a new script maybe.
Take Care
Ron
wathead

Postby tommieb » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:16 pm

Hi M-Saunders/Wathead, Many thanks for your replies - I have yet to try renaming the install.iso.tmp to install.iso but fear the disc could get screwed up....oh well was looking forward to gentoo, btw the edition you had earlier this year, gentoo 2005.0 was great! Loved it, shame about the jigdo screwup...M-Saunders - please let me know how you get on with the magazine version!! :-)

Kind regards,
Tom.
tommieb

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Renaming the .tmp file is unlikely to work. Jigdo adds metadata to the temporary file, to keep track of which files have been added and which are missing, removing this when the disc is complete, when it also renames the file. Renaming a partially completed ISO will break sooner or later, and Finagle's Law decrees it is usually later :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby tommieb » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi Nelz, yeah, I just found out, renamed it to iso and burned the cd, the system refused to boot from cd.....shame, I paid 11 euros for the magazine and to find it doesn't work.....how would you rectify this? as I feel cheated out of this.....

Kind Regards,
Tom.
tommieb

Postby nelz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:03 pm

You probably only need to download a couple of missing files, but I don't have a copy of the DVD to be able to work out which files you need.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Lo all,

I've just been looking into this, and I think I've found a really simple solution that just involves a couple of commands! Will report back shortly, and apologies for the glitch in the script...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Solved

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:41 pm

SOLUTION

OK, for those trying to make Gentoo CDs from the issue 72 DVD, and having trouble booting, I've figured out what's wrong and found a quick solution!

The .tmp.iso install disc made by Jigdo needs to be made bootable -- that's what's wrong. To do this, copy the files from that ISO image to a new directory (by loopback mounting it), and then make a new ISO from that directory just created. Here's what to enter (you'll need to be root; enter 'su' and the password in a terminal window):

Code: Select all
# mv install-x86-universal-2005.1.iso.tmp install-x86-universal-2005.1.iso
# mkdir /loop && mount -o loop install-x86-universal-2005.1.iso /loop
# mkdir /new && cp -R /loop/* /new && umount /loop
# mkisofs -rdlJ -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o install-fixed.iso /new

Now you'll have a file called 'install-fixed.iso' -- burn that to disc and you can start the Gentoo installation! I'll put this fix in the coverdisc pages of the next issue, and apologies for the glitch. Rest assured, I'll be running TekWM for the rest of the month as punishment...

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby tommieb » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi Mike,

Happy Halloween!!!! Many thanks for your posting of the solution. Will go and give this a shot!

Kind Regards,
Tom. :D

P.S: Enjoy TekWM.... :roll:
tommieb

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs