Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen freezing. Hardware problems?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenhall4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Screen freezing. Hardware problems? Reply with quote

I'm running a Deskstar desktop machine with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (also occasionally dual booting with Windows XP). The machine is almost 10 years old and has operated without problems until about a month ago, since when it has sometimes froze (requiring a reboot) or it suddenly logs me out or the desktop style suddenly changes. If this occurs it's always within 5 to 10 minutes of me switching the machine on (it's normally switched off); if it gets past 10 minutes there are no problems. I've run a memory test from the Grub boot menu with no problems, and run an fsck on the partitions being used without problems. This problem also occurred on one of the odd occasions that I boot into Windows XP. I'm therefore suspecting a hardware problem of some sort. Any suggestions of which component, would it be worthwhile attempting a fix, or bearing in mind the age of the machine should I get another one (it's still perfectly adequate for my requirements)?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a decade old, chances are more parts will fail in the not too distant future, so you'd have consider the cost of replacing parts v/s buying a new PC. That doesn't have to be the latest all-singing-all-dancing type though!
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thirteen year old machine in which I have replaced the BIOS battery and the hard drive - both likely to go after 10 years.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite suspect would be the PSU, although it could be a sticking fan. It might be worth keeping an eye on temperatures during those critical ten minutes.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: