Chromebook, anyone?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Chromebook, anyone?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 pm

They certainly seem to be making headway
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-co ... s&attr=all
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Actually I'm not surprised after seeing my 21 year cousin struggle to get to grips with Windows 8 on her new laptop. She kept on going back to her old laptop that has Vista.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Chromebook user for a year

Postby Farcry » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Along with my various Arch Linux systems, I've used a Chromebook (Samsung Series 3) for a year now. It pretty well has done "what it said on the tin" and I've definitely used it more than I thought I would - often because of the superfast boot and for "just having a quick look" at something on the web, or checking emails. And of course, battery life has been long (5-6 hours).

Many web apps for Chrome have been pretty good - some excellent - but Google really do need to prioritize a few more basic necessities, such as the ability to connect MTP and PTP devices.
Also, the mandatory updating of the OS cannot be stopped, which is tough luck if it starts updating when you're on a dodgy wifi signal and just about to go on a train/plane, etc!

Good-ish+, but not quite great yet.
Farcry

Return to Discussion