Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Router advise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Router advise Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying this Buffalo 125Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router and PC Card.
http://tinyurl.com/9a94h
I've got a P4 desktop (WinXP, Ubuntu and Suse 9.3) and a laptop (WinXP, various Linux distros) I want the wireless capability.
Any ideas on this setup and will it work with Linux?
Thanks.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an addon wireless router with a USB Wireless dongle on my laptop. Using Gentoo I experienced a few problems setting up, but once I overcame the niggles I have had very few problems. The few I have had i suspect are down to the router rather than the laptop.
i used to use Mandrake and had very good experiences with that and Wifi so in all likelihood you have a very very good chance of having a good setup
nlpmetaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all I have d-link wireless airplus xtreme g revision c router a copy of madriva 2006
a pentium3 800mhz wich I would like use as a server with the router as the access point I have no idea how to configure madriva
I had seen a picture of my router in linux format february 2005 issue page 50 thinking that it would show me how to set it up ,it shows how to turn my pc into a router with cdrouter.iso ect nice read but already have router ,d-link doesn't support linux -- google not helping much -- any idea's any one ?
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am assuming when you say you want it to act a s a server, you mean web, ftp and ssh? For Web server you need to make sure you have Apache installed, I believe it is shipped with Mandriva, so you should just be able to select it when you choose your install packages, same goes for FTP I believe ProFTPD is the package you want. SSHD also comes with Mandriva and as far as I know is installed by default. In terms of setting up the router you want to set port fowarding up with ports 80,21,22 and 23 if you wan SFTP pointing at your server. Hope this helps a bit
Farslayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHen ever considering anything Wireless for Linux (especially Wireless NIC cards) I always check the compatability lists first.. imho native compatability is better than having to deal with ndis wrapper and the like..

http://www.linux-wlan.org/

http://www.prism54.org/

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: