Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue 181 Voip client roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Issue 181 Voip client roundup Reply with quote

I've been tinkering with VOIP over the past couple of weeks and was therefore quite chuffed to find 181 land on my doorstep with a VOIP client roundup.

I was encouraged to see Jitsi make your recommendation but, I have to say, I can't get the damn thing to work. it just keeps crashing.

The also consider boxout mentions LinPhone and I wonder why it wasn't included in the roundup, especially considering "it's what we use on our Android phones". For me, it works and is the only client I have been able to get working sufficiently well to be able to make and receive calls.

A boxout on SIP gateways would have been handy too. I'm using SipGate and have also looked at Smartvoip and LinPhone's own SIP Gateway.

I'd be interested to hear others' successes/failures with VOIP.
geekybodhi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue 181 Voip client roundup Reply with quote

johnlane wrote:
I've been tinkering with VOIP over the past couple of weeks and was therefore quite chuffed to find 181 land on my doorstep with a VOIP client roundup.

I was encouraged to see Jitsi make your recommendation but, I have to say, I can't get the damn thing to work. it just keeps crashing.

Are you running the stable version and not their nightly builds?

johnlane wrote:

The also consider boxout mentions LinPhone and I wonder why it wasn't included in the roundup, especially considering "it's what we use on our Android phones". For me, it works and is the only client I have been able to get working sufficiently well to be able to make and receive calls.

I just wanted to cast the net wider. LinPhone does get our vote when I say I use it on my phone, but I wanted to try out the other apps as well. Jitsi is hitting all the right buttons and their Android client is coming up pretty nicely.

johnlane wrote:

A boxout on SIP gateways would have been handy too. I'm using SipGate and have also looked at Smartvoip and LinPhone's own SIP Gateway.

I'd be interested to hear others' successes/failures with VOIP.

I was using ippi.fr, but now use Ostel which does end-to-end encryption. Btw, they recommend using the service via the CSipSimple Android client.
johnlane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the stable Jitsi and kept getting this:

java: pcm.c:2731: snd_pcm_area_copy: Assertion `dst < src || dst >= src + bytes' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

So I tried the nightly (2.5.20140131) and it had the same problem.

I use ArchLinux, without PulseAudio (in case that has any effect).
Linux myhost 3.12.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 29 21:14:15 CET 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I hear what you say about Jitsi hitting all the right buttons which is why I would like to get it working. I will also take a look at Ostel, thanks for the tip.
geekybodhi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest that you post this on the Jitsi user's list and then I see that you've already done so Smile I hope someone can point you in the right direction. Cheers!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: