Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invalid EDID/file system errors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cagere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Invalid EDID/file system errors Reply with quote

Hi All.
When I try to boot a previously working Fedora 16 system named "Silver", it fails with the following error message.

"[drm:radeon_vga_detect] *ERROR* VGA1: probed a monitor but no/invalid EDID

An option is provided to hit "Control-d" to continue.
this gives:

[root@Silver ~]# exit
[systemd-fsck[1077]: /dev/mapper/vg-silver-lv_home contains file system with errors.

I can get to a command prompt if this is any use.

An alternative boot option to run "Windows 7" works normally using the same Monitor.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be welcome.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the EDID error is relevant, at worst this would stop X loading. More worrying is "/dev/mapper/vg-silver-lv_home contains file system with errors."

Go to the prompt you get, log in as root and run

Code:
fsck /dev/mapper/vg-silver-lv_home

to see if the errors can be fixed.
Cagere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelz. Thanks for looking. Unfortunately fsck reports that there is no such file and that this is possibly a non-existant device.

If I go onto the command line and enter the "/" directory and do a "ls" it shows "home" and I can "cd" to it., but if I do a "ls" I get no response. I can see a response from the"boot" directory however.

While at the command line I tried "startx" which showed a shower of error messages before dumping me back at the prompt. One of these I saw as it flashed by said something about "i/o error dev sdb".
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect ls /home to return nothing, the LV isn't mounted so all you have is an empty directory. The missing device tihng is odd, first the system complains it has errors then says it isn't there. What is the output from

Code:
lvdisplay

Cagere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
lvdisplay shows three items.

/dev/vg_silver/lv_swap Available 3.94 GB
lv_home " 877.06GB
lv_ root " 50 GB
Each of these has other information if you need it, but they all look very similar.

Cheers
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lv_home is there, why can't fsck find it?

Code:
fsck /dev/vg_silver/lv_home
should work
Cagere

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelz. This last "fsck" did find "home". I was caught out by writing a dash in place of an u/line in my original post. I should have spotted it!
I can't read my own writing. My apologies.

fsck now reports an unattached inode 3015663 and then offered to "connect to /lost+found (y)?". I tried this and it said " count is wrong. it is 2 should be 1.

I accepted the fix offer but it then showed another faulty inode etc-etc.

I seem to remember from another occasion that fsck can fix multiple errors but I can't remember how to invoke it in that mode.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
fsck --help
Razz

Code:
fsck -y ...

Cagere

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks Nelz. That fixed it.
fsck seemed to have a ton of corrections to make but it did the biz.

Sorry about the previous confusion but the broken machine and this one are in different rooms and I have to transfer messages from one to the other on paper! Perhaps next time I will try photographing the screens.
Cheers cagere
Cagere

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Nelz. It seems I was a bit premature in saying the problem was fixed. When I turned it off last night it didn't shut down properly and left a similar message about EDID as previously. I went through the routine that fixed it last time, but this time it complained about about problems with"root". I used fsck to fix this and it then said there was problem wit "home" again.
A second run of fsck sees to have fixed that also now and this time the machine seems to have shut down as it should!

There seems to be a serious problem with this drive so I have ordered a replacement and intend to clone it with "G4U" which I have used on a previous occasion. I am leaving the faulty machine switched off and keeping my fingers crossed that it works for the cloning.

Any Thoughts?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the EDID message was the cause of the failure to shutdown? This seems the sort of non-critical information that would be reported and then the process would continue.

How did you force the shutdown, when it hung? Cutting the power could easily cause the sort of errors fsck is reporting. If the machine appears totally hung, use the MAgic SysRq keys rather then hitting the power button.

Hold down Alt and SysRq while pressing one at a time, in this order

R E I S U B
Cagere

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelz. I don't have any particular reason to think that the EDID message was the actual cause. After seeing this general message I ran fsck with no switches and that is when I got the message about "root" and "home" being faulty. To restart the machine after fixing these problems I used the reset button on the box to restart. On Sunday it did a couple of normal shutdowns using the red logout/shutdown button and subsequently restarted fairly normally although it did seem a bit more sluggish than normal. A new drive should arrive in a couple of days so I will carry on with this old Fedora 12 machine. ( I also have an even older machine with RH8 and Fedora 5 to keep me company). At the moment I am trying to finish a model beam engine which I want to take to the Harrogate exhibition in the Spring so I have plenty to keep me busy.
I will make a note of your suggested shutdown procedeure and stick it on the front panel so that I don't lose it.
Cheersl
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressing the reset button while filesystems are still mounted is a very good way of corrupting them and requiring fsck to get them working again.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: