Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

howto access a HFS-formatted USB hard drive? [SOLVED]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraxinus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: howto access a HFS-formatted USB hard drive? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

A Mac-user friend has asked me to take some data for a project from his G-Drive USB hard drive, which has a HFS filesystem. I have installed the hfsplus utility but I still can't get it to work.

I am using Mint 13 MATE. When I plug the drive in and switch it on it appears in the Places list in Caja's left sidebar straight away - but Caja then remains "busy" indefinitely and never reaches the stage of showing a list of files and directories.

Any advice would be most welcome!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hfsutils reds HFS filesystems directly, it does not mount them for use with other file managers. It is possible to mount HFS filesystems, provided your kernel includes this support, or you can use the xhfs program from hfsutils to access the disk with a GUI.
fraxinus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nelz. I downloaded and installed xhfs, ran it from the terminal and I could indeed access the filesystem. However, I ran into permissions problems straightaway so I could not retrieve/copy any files. I am going to ask my Mac-using colleague to help me a bit more!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try running it with sudo?
fraxinus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you try running it with sudo?

No I didn't, nelz. What a good idea - I'll get the HD back off him and try. Thanks Very Happy
fraxinus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am left feeling a bit foolish. I switched on with the intention of running xhfs as sudo but (for no particular reason) I connected the G-Drive using a different USB port.

Result - caja file manager displays all files and directories perfectly, with read access to everything. I have been able to view and copy anything I want to. No need to try again with xhfs (I did have hfsutils installed already).

Moral of this? Never discount the possibility that hardware is to blame? Thanks for your help nelz.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: