Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF179 coverdisk ubuntu OS query [SOLVED]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: LXF179 coverdisk ubuntu OS query [SOLVED] Reply with quote

When I run the ubuntu OS live there is no option available on the desktop to select the various flavours. I cannot seem to be able to add another user in live mode to get the option to see these flavours in the desktop drop down menu. I saw another query of a similar nature that said the password on the DVD was "root" but it isn't and it shows 5 dots on the screen from within settings. I tried admin but that doesn't work either. I really want to try the flavours before installation.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log out and choose the desktop you want from the login screen. There are four icons at the top right of the screen, the leftmost one opens the list of desktops. Then hit the login button without changing the user or entering a password, there is no password for the live user, so any password you try will be wrong.

There is no need to add another user, all users have access to all desktops.
stano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: LXF179 ubuntu Reply with quote

nelz,
Thank you for replying to my query. I do not have the said icon top left on my screen. It appears the install disk defaults to kubnuntu and I have 8 icons top left on the opening screen. L to R they are, language, Network etc/, bluetooth, avail.-away etc., mouse, volume, time/cal., about, logout etc. Hence me trying to set another user, What flavour of ubuntu should be the default? and how do I access the options to select other desktops? Sorry to be a pain but I am anxious to check them out without having to do multiple downloads.
thanks again.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The icons you want are to the top right of the screen, and it's the login screen not the desktop. First you must logout using the logout icon you mentioned.
stano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: LXF179 ubuntu Reply with quote

Hi Nelz,
All good now. Thanks again for your patience.
chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as stano so thanks for the solution which has raised another question. I have Ubuntu 13.10 installed on my machine and would like to know how to change the desktop so as to have a choice as on the CD or simply how to discard Unity and replace it with, say, Lxfce or some other desktop.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you installed from the LXFDVD, you already have the desktops, simply change over as above. The difference with an installed system is that it remember the change and defaults to your choice next time.

If you installed from a standard CD, search for "desktop" in the software manager where you will find packages like kde-desktop and lxde-desktop. Install whichever you want.
chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I'll give it a try
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: