KeePassX auto-type problems

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

KeePassX auto-type problems

Postby mountainriverlocal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:02 am

How many out there using KeePassX? I have been using it for some
time however I'm not getting the best out of it.
For me the auto-type feature is a winner but I struggle to get it working on some sites.
When a login is on one page I sometimes get the auto-type working (and what a joy to use) but on some sites eg Gmail uses a 2 page sequence and nothing I try will work.
I have been doing a lot of searches but the info is fragmented and I can't always interpret the results. I am sixty and a latecomer to computing so please be gentle!
Happily using Mint 13 on a Dell Optiplex 755.
Thanks in advance.
mountainriverlocal

Postby purplepenguin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:05 am

I've been using KeepassX for about 6 months. I never noticed the auto-type till I read your message, cheers for that. Just tested it with Gmail and it has worked fine for me. Maybe just a fluke. I had to make sure that Google didn't already have the email address field completed. Tested with 2 different accounts.

What other sites are not working for you? If I have an account there too I could test some more.

What version of KPX are your on? I've got 0.4.3

PP
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby mountainriverlocal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks for the rapid reply purplepenguin, I am humbled.
Firstly I also am using 0.4.3. Should have mentioned that already ha ha.
The thing with Gmail is that until recently, it presented as a simple web page with username and login fields blank and with that I could get auto-type running.

Now when I access the log-in page it presents a list of accounts (three in this instance).
It does this in Firefox and Opera on my machine.
{TAB}{ENTER} gets it past that page but after that nothing works. Obviously some specific requests have to be entered but with my limited experience, nothing has worked yet.

I have other questions re this function on certain pages but will stick to solving things one at a time otherwise complications will arise I am sure.

I just had a thought while typing : that particular 'improvement' in the home page would be something that Gmail would be doing in my browser, it must have tweaked the browsers itself to behave like that. Can I untweak it?

Regards

Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 am

Try clearing out any cookies related to Google.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:57 am

Thanks nelz, following your advice, a good dig around behind the Operatic scenes and bingo! the auto-type function has been made to work in its elegant fashion.

That really does give me a boost when some kind mentor on the other side of the world can give me a nudge in the right direction. Again, thanks.
Now, did I mention there was more?

On one banking I use site there are three fields to complete before hitting enter - what comments are used to achieve this? The KPX appears to have only two.

Regards
Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:34 am

Be aware that your browser will probably store the cookies again, once you've logged back in. Firefox will delete all cookies after each session if you change it's preferences I'm not sure if Chrome has similar settings.

As for your banking site. It doesn’t look as though KPX can cope with three input fields. I have the three field authentication on my share dealing site.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:10 am

KeePass 2.x for Windows can have custom placeholders defined, but KeePassX 2.0 is still in alpha. You could try building it from source to see it this does what you want, but backup your database first.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks nelz and purplepenguin. Yes it seems as though KPX can't deal with more than two input fields so that is the end of that scenario for the time being. Might stop me doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!

As for the cookies, I use Opera for these sites requiring a log-in and have pretty much disabled the cookie collection, Firefox is used for all other browsing.

One site which I have also found trouble with is logging in to LXF. It looks simple enough but I have no luck with it. Any chance of a copy of the auto-type sequence which works its magic on this one?

In advance I thank you for your patience.

Regards

Mark
mountainriverlocal

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 am

It's not that it can't handle more than two input fields, only that the current release only supports two placeholder fields, username and password. The latest version allows you to create extra placeholders, so you can complete as many input fields as you need.
nelz
Site admin

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:24 am

nelz wrote:It's not that it can't handle more than two input fields, only that the current release only supports two placeholder fields, username and password. The latest version allows you to create extra placeholders, so you can complete as many input fields as you need.

Hey Nelz

Is this the alpha release you mentioned above? If so I'll have a go at building it over the weekend. Seems like a good candidate for my first build.

@mountainriverlocal

Try clicking on the first input field before using autotype. Works here.

purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:55 am

Yes, I've not tried it but KeePass 2.0 supports extra placeholders and KeePassX is supposed to be compatible, so give it a go.
nelz
Site admin

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 pm

I've just installed 2.0 alpha5 and it does allow you to add custom placeholders. or attributes as it calls them.
nelz
Site admin

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks purplepenguin, the cursor gambit allows the auto-type to work on the LXF site. That's tidied another one up.

Regards

Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Postby mountainriverlocal » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:56 am

I thought I should post a reply to thank nelz and purplepenguin for their input on this topic.

This info has helped me out nicely so far.

I have been looking at KeePass 2 but just for fiddling if you know what I mean. Gets a bit involved for an old boy like me.

One last thing for now, any idea how one would treat a bank website where the password in entered via mouse and keyboard?

Regards

Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Return to Help!