Has Python Lost The Plot?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Has Python Lost The Plot?

Postby Bazza » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Not sure if this should be in the programming or discussion forums so placed here for safety...

I used to really like Python, but as it has evolved from V1.4.0, (for the classic AMIGA in my case), to its present V3.4.0 incarnation has it become less user friendly for newbie and amateur coders?

I have completely switched to shell scripting now because of its sheer flexibility, ease of use and unreal number of simple commands that can do seriously complex jobs.

So in your, (plural), opinions is Python TOO STRICT in its coding structure to be once again a language for programming simpletons like me...

For example, converting bytes to characters or print() as a function, etc, etc...
I look back to V1.4.0 to V2.0.1 for the MIGGY and think how easy it was to code but now it seems to be designed for the ultimate professional who knows all of the jargon associated with it.

I just love the idea that bash, for example, is SOOOO forgiving...

Comments welcome...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby MadTux » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:06 pm

I sort of like the fact that it forces you to be tidy, because I suspect my code might be a mess otherwise :D
I think a lot of new things in python 3 make a lot of sense, for example the old python print worked very well but got sort of ugly when you wanted to change things like the end. It certainly means it's easier to read now.

The problem with bash is that it just can't do that much, and unless I'm calling a lot of programs or files, I find python easier. But that's just my opinion. Also, I started programming when Python 3 was out, so I got used to 3.x.
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:22 pm

yo birthday bruv :D why don't you use java because unlike c++ etc it automatically tidies up for you?? you'll never guess what you came up on people i might know on facebook the other day :shock:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Bazza » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Hey 1sf (troll), you old son of a gun...

Hi birfdy bruv. ;o)

Just send me s friend request and I might just accept. ;oO

This reply might get me banned now... ;oDD

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic