Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Python Lost The Plot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Has Python Lost The Plot? Reply with quote

Not sure if this should be in the programming or discussion forums so placed here for safety...

I used to really like Python, but as it has evolved from V1.4.0, (for the classic AMIGA in my case), to its present V3.4.0 incarnation has it become less user friendly for newbie and amateur coders?

I have completely switched to shell scripting now because of its sheer flexibility, ease of use and unreal number of simple commands that can do seriously complex jobs.

So in your, (plural), opinions is Python TOO STRICT in its coding structure to be once again a language for programming simpletons like me...

For example, converting bytes to characters or print() as a function, etc, etc...
I look back to V1.4.0 to V2.0.1 for the MIGGY and think how easy it was to code but now it seems to be designed for the ultimate professional who knows all of the jargon associated with it.

I just love the idea that bash, for example, is SOOOO forgiving...

Comments welcome...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
MadTux

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of like the fact that it forces you to be tidy, because I suspect my code might be a mess otherwise Very Happy
I think a lot of new things in python 3 make a lot of sense, for example the old python print worked very well but got sort of ugly when you wanted to change things like the end. It certainly means it's easier to read now.

The problem with bash is that it just can't do that much, and unless I'm calling a lot of programs or files, I find python easier. But that's just my opinion. Also, I started programming when Python 3 was out, so I got used to 3.x.
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo birthday bruv Very Happy why don't you use java because unlike c++ etc it automatically tidies up for you?? you'll never guess what you came up on people i might know on facebook the other day Shocked
paul

Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 1sf (troll), you old son of a gun...

Hi birfdy bruv. ;o)

Just send me s friend request and I might just accept. ;oO

This reply might get me banned now... ;oDD

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: