Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Solved] PythonCard not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuarte9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: [Solved] PythonCard not working Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've decided to try and learn some Python using a library book called "Beginning Python" by Peter Norton et al from Wrox Press (c) 2005.

The book advises that a package called PythonCard should be installed. I have downloaded the zip file, PythonCard-0.8.2.zip,

The archive's top level Readme.txt file states:-

"Place the "PythonCard" directory in your python directory or another directory on your PYTHONPATH. By default, the Windows installer and distutils installer will place PythonCard in your Python22\Lib\site-packages directory; the actual path will be different depending on your OS and version of Python."

I have placed the zip file into /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages.

The Readme.txt file further states :-

"If you're running on a Unix/Linux system, you must unzip the release distribution with the -a option to convert the CR/LF line endings of each file to LF."

Using a terminal and after cd'ing into .../site-packages I unzipped the file into that directory using "unzip -a PythonCard-0.8.2.zip".

Lastly, the Readme.txt file also states :-

"PythonCard requires Python 2.3 or later and wxPython 2.5.2.x or later. wxPython is available at http://www.wxpython.org/"

Looking into .../site-packages I found that there was already a folder called "wx-2.9.4-gtk2" which already contained wxPython 2.9.4.0.

On p.3 whilst "speaking" of codeEditor the book states:-

"Once it is installed on your system with PythonCard, on Linux or Unix-based systems, you can just type codeEditor in a terminal or shell window and it will start."

Well, no it doesn't. When I tried the system responded with :-

"If 'codeEditor' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
cnf codeEditor"

After a bit of investigation I tried :-

python /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PythonCard-0.8.2/components/codeeditor.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PythonCard-0.8.2/components/codeeditor.py", line 15, in <module>
from PythonCard import configuration, event, STCStyleEditor, widget
ImportError: No module named PythonCard

You can clearly see the result of that.

Has anyone managed to get this to work ?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give with this.

Stuart

Last edited by stuarte9 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
stuarte9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that I solved the problem, so no need to reply now.

Stuart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: