Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolawlor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a Toshiba 2430-402 laptop and wish to have a
dual boot system with Windows XP Home and Fedora Core 3 on it. Windows XP Home is already pre-installed.The
laptop has a 40GB hard drive, and at the moment I have 20GB for Win XP
(FAT 32) and the other 20GB is unallocated space. I downloaded the
Fedora Core 3 DVD iso file from there website and burned it on DVD but
every time I try and boot from the DVD I get the message:

Starting Caldera DR-DOS...

EMM386: Cannot find an unused 64 Kilobyte range of upper memory to use
for an EMS page frame. Using FRAME=NONE.
FRAME=NONE

After showing this message the laptop freezes and I have to reboot.
Does anyone know what could be causing this or am I just wasting my
time trying to install Linux?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

how did you burn the iso file?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

used nero 6 to burn a bootable dvd (4x i think)
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

Which might be your problem. The iso image is just that, an exact copy of a disc filesystem, so it will already be bootable. You need to select something like create disc from image.
rolawlor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

just used nero 6 to burn a disc image like you said, but again it gave me the message 'Cannot find an unused 64 Kilobyte range of upper memory'. would it be the hardware on the laptop or something in the bios causing this problem??
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

Messages concerning emm386 are dos messages, you shouldn't be seeing them with anything that's booting Linux. The only time one normally sees this with Linux is using loadlin, which requires dos. Do you still get the starting Caldera Dr-DOS message? If so, then you are still burning to disc wrongly.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

What do you see when you view the contents of the disc in a file manager? If you see the ISO file, you did not write it as an image.
rolawlor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

i see all the contents of the disk and not an iso file. i'm still getting the message 'Starting Caldera DR-DOS... ' and then it just freezes. i've tried burning the disk load of ways and every time i still get the message. don't know what i'm doing wrong! can someone give me the exact way to burn the iso using nero 6? (dvd or cd)
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

Nero should be in classic mode, close the wizard.
from the drop down meuns ( can't rember off hand which one ) select burn image.
navigate to the 'iso' then burn it.

If your still having a problem it may be a corrupt 'iso'

Ram

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

in case you cn't find the way I have pasted the instructions below Rolling Eyes
1 Start Nero
2 Choose the menu command "File"->"Burn Image"
3 An "Open" file dialog box appears with the following image types supported (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue)
4 Select your download LinuxISO file and click Open
5 The "Write CD" dialog box appears with several tabs (Info, Foreign image, Misc, Burn).
6 Click the 'Burn' Tab
7 Confirm that 'Write' and 'Finalize' are selected
8 Click on "Write". Watch it burn.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

Thats sounds and looks like Nero 5 instructions, could be wrong most peeps say I am. In Nero 6 I believe they have moved it away from the file menu hence my less then step by step guide. I'll can check when I get home tonight the exact steps in Nero 6 if needed.

Ram

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
rolawlor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

cheers for the help everyone. got fedora working alongside windows. seems i was doing something wrong while burning the image file onto dvd.

cheers
ro
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

no sh*t Sherlock Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: RE: Dual boot- Win xp and fedora core 3- PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

<abusive comment from cowardly anonymous user removed>
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: