Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of SuSE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: End of SuSE? Reply with quote

Has anyone else read this story?
In the absence of an official announcement I won't volunteer an opinion, but it will be sad if I have to switch distributions again <sigh!>

Edit: Oh! Now I see it's being denied.

Count to ten...
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: RE: End of SuSE? Reply with quote

>>Count to ten...

lol
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: RE: End of SuSE? Reply with quote

SUSE has already counted to ten(.0) Smile
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: RE: End of SuSE? Reply with quote

I thought they were going the Red Hat Enterprise/Fedora core route, with Novell for the commercial interests and Open SuSE for us cheapskates, I mean enthusiasts...
Cogar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first story was disturbing, but Novell has had problems in the past, so this should have been expected. I wish them well, but who knows what will happen. I agree that SUSE itself is probably fine, but its corporate backing may be a little shaky until Novell gets its act together or SUSE is purchased by another company.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am anxiously watching developments. I cut my (Linux) teeth on SuSE and would be very sad to witness its demise, if that is what it is going to come to. Sad
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On reflection, the thing that bothers me most is that support for KDE might be reduced, it's still my favourite desktop environment.
ollie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rakios, it is worrying for the KDE development and integration with SUSE Linux. You can tell me as much as you like about the benefits of the Gnome desktop but it remains a bastardised version of Apple OS X (which I use and enjoy) that is poorly implemented for daily use, system management and configuration. Gnome, by default, has gone for shitty coloured browns and dead tones instead of a vibrant colourful desktop that entices users to use the computer. I know how to change some of the features - but many are well hidden or locked to set configurations. I keep trying each Gnome version hoping that some bright spark has ignited Gnome development - I'm still waiting ...
dth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound a bit worrying. In the manual for suse 10.0 the gnome options were explained before the kde options which I thought was a bit strange.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Gnome, by default, has gone for sh*tty coloured browns and dead tones instead of a vibrant colourful desktop"

In fairness to Gnome, that's not the default theme. That's the default Ubuntu theme -- Gnome's own is a nondescript blue-ish affair called Clearlooks.

M
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm growing to like the Ubuntu theme - I certainly prefer it to the Fedora one, and it might just be the first version of Gnome I can actually live with.
ollie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know that Ubuntu has gone totally brown, but the tool bars, highlight clours and menus by default look greenish/brown to me. They aren't grey, or brushed metal, or pale blue, or tinted shades. The greens and blues are dead - there is no depth or vibrancy to them. This is the desktop that people see first up, or with the big push for Ubuntu, they get totally browned out. I haven't had a chance to look at Kubuntu but I have heard rumours that even Mark Shuttleworth is using Kubuntu as a more attractive desktop. Unsure of the theme choices, though.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: