Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moshshockerz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2 Reply with quote

i,ve just installed my SUSE 9.2 via GHOST.i,ve sucessfully duplicate the hardisk.but my prob is i can't boot, it,s required the root password for maintenance manually.the error message is "fsck fail".i don't know what is the problem, because i,ve been ghost the hardisk for many times but the results is still the same. i'm not also familiar with LINUX. i choose to ghost the hardisk because there is a software that need to be configure by a programmer that we develope ourselve. and this pc will run as a server and we need to make it about 100. if i do the fresh install then we need to configure it again and again.what is the problem and how can i fix it???
PLEASE HELP ME....... Question
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: RE: GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2 Reply with quote

Whatever else it is, this isn't a GRUB problem per se.

The fact that you're saying that you need to fsck the filesystem suggests that there may be something lost in copying (perhaps to do with the journalling files).

I don't know why, if you are doing things like this, you don't have the root password - you need to get it. For all we know you're just trying to bypass system security without permission, so I won't offer any assistance in this respect.
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: RE: GRUB boot loader prob on SUSE 9.2 Reply with quote

If you do have the root password, then you can run fsck manually:

fsck /dev/(partition)

I'm not sure how well Ghost works with Linux filesystems. You might find that partition image does a better job.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: