Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Themes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lxfadmin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Themes Reply with quote

We will be supporting a limited selection of themes on this site. One of the reasons for this is that we recognise a lot of people, presumably under duress, view the site using IE. IE doesn't support lots of nice stuff like transparent PNGs properly, or indeed a lot of CSS stuff which heavily used on this site.
So the default theme is a bit of a lowest common denominator. We want to produce a better looking theme for Mozilla/Firefox users for a start, and also a low bandwidth theme.
I'm sure some people will clamour for a nostalgic orange theme too!
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Themes Reply with quote

I'm sure some people will clamour for a nostalgic orange theme too!

funny i was going ask someone is it possible to change the theme to get rid of the god awful orange!
evilnick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Themes Reply with quote

The forum theme is very, very complicated. And it just happened to be orange - I had no part in that!

It is possible to change though.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Themes Reply with quote

I like the blue-and-orange. Please keep it as an option.
evilnick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Themes Reply with quote

well, most of the theme is done through CSS, so it is a lot easier to change (In Firefox, try View->Page Style-> No Style to see how much of the theme is CSS).
In the future we may open it up for users to submit themes.
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Themes Reply with quote

"Vive l'orange"
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: RE: Themes Reply with quote

L'orange? Bouf! Forza Extra_Lite!
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Themes Reply with quote

Orange !!!

Extra_Lite is where it's at !

I just turned on "Authour" mode in Opera (7.54), which basically uses the site stylesheet. It's quite a pleasent grey, which changes slightly in each post cell. The rest is white. Grey can be a good colour for the eyes sometimes if it's worked properly.

I'm all for customised themes though. Especially if the pages are using some 'cgi' technique to generate. Would it really be that hard to code up. I do program so i can apprieciate these things, but i haven't had anything to do with web pages except for some basic html.

I'm using a custom theme now. Just by using the styleNN.css file as a template, and extracting the relevant class= values from some pages. It's a pity that Opera only has one user mode style. A few different ones, for different sites would be very handy.

I just wish i had thought of it ages ago, i could have saved myself a lot of friggen around.

If LXF was to expand on the theme idea, and include customisation, based on a users profile (registered only of course), it would be a unique move. Does anybody know of an other site that bothers. LXF could rightly claim it as an innovative first ,.. no !, aside from the benifit to people utilising the site, it must be good for LXFs' profile as well.

Anyhow, enough sales pitch for one day. Hope the themes idea doesn't stagenate, but i think you guys could probably drop the orange if you really wanted to. Smile

jm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: