Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debian 3.1 desktop problem - please help novice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hinders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Debian 3.1 desktop problem - please help novice. Reply with quote

I wonder if you can help me. I am a complete novice in Linux.

I brought my first Linux Format magazine last week and yesterday I finally decided to take the plunge and try and install Debian 3.1 from the magazine DVD (LXF70).

I created a partition on my Dell laptop and installed Debian on the new partition. I installed Debian and everything seemed to be okay. However I then noticed I had a problem.

My desktop is set at 800x600. I looked through the menu's to find how to change the resolution of the desktop but when I found the correct place 800x600 was the highest resolution available to me. I know that my laptop is capable of a lot higher than this but it wasn't available to select in Linux, why is this?

How can I make the resoloution of my Debian 3.1 desktop higher that 800x600?

Do I need to redo the whole installtion process again? If so do I need to boot from the DVD or is there a program I can run from within Debian?

I hope you can help me.

Please could you keep the information & instructions simple as I may not understand them as I haven't really used Linux yet.

I appreciate any help or information given.

Thanks!

Neil
cypress

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all that you have to do is go to a command prompt and run

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Good Luck!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: