Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeDiack

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

Hi
I was wondering if the new issue (67) is out yet, either in the shops or with
subscribers yet. I presume it must be due around this weekend, c. 6 May?
Or is it out yet?
And does it have Mandriva 2005 on the cover disc?
Mike
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

Subscribers got it towards the end of last week.

Yes, Mandriva is on the discs.
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

If you subscribed you'd already have the answer, the mag and Mandriva.

Go on, subscibe. You know it makes sense.

Very Happy
towy71

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

Yes I got it for the archive--can't get a clean install to boot into kdm but it does work Rolling Eyes

have just spent two days getting a Debian install from the business card boot disk and high levels of incompetence through to working ok and completely upgraded?? to debianbox 2.6.8-2-k7 testing and nvidia working too. Embarassed
must get round to trying Gentoo when I have calmed down Mr. Green
Ricey

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

I haven't got my copy yet, i am a subscriber Sad

http://www.ricey.co.uk
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

Got mine in WHSmiths today. It has Mandriva 2005. As does Linux Magazine, unfortunately, also out today.
bcanning

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

Ricey - I'm also a subscriber, also not received my copy Sad

Anyone else?
towy71

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet? Reply with quote

Oh and the Nvidia driver was handy too Wink
Dick
evilnick

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet Reply with quote

mugstar wrote:
As does Linux Magazine, unfortunately, also out today.

Does it not stirke anyone as shabby that, when Mandriva release a 2Gb image, some magazines have just mastered the ISO as a DVD, just wasting the other half of the available space. What if (heaven forfend) you don't want Mandriva? Or even if you do but you'd also like the latest version of gnumeric, GRAMPS, K3b, amaroK, Glest, the nVidia drivers, etc etc etc.
Not that I want to make nelz too bigheaded, but I think this shows a clear difference in attitude - it never occurred to us to make our lives easier and shortchange you with half a disc.
towy71

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out Reply with quote

Ooh mr evil not blowing your own trumpet (sweet music though it makes) Wink

As said in earlier post Nvidia drivers appreciated, let you know about the other things when I stop playing....

sorry dear just compiling a new kernel Wink no that was the passing tank making all that noise Laughing
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out Reply with quote

Perhaps they were just carried away by their own smugness at having got the full SuSE 9.2 (i.e. both 32 and 64 bit versions) on their DVD the previous month?

Not that it makes any difference to me, an even smugger SuSE 9.3 user.

Still, on the whole LXF's discs are better as they have content which ties in with the magazine.
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has both DVD's, then install the LXF one, since almost *every* rpm is a newer version. cat ../media/main into a text file for each disc then run diff on them to see for y'self!
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet Reply with quote

evilnick wrote:
mugstar wrote:

...it never occurred to us to make our lives easier and shortchange you with half a disc.

Linux User & Developer 49 was the one next to LXF at my local WHS. CD (DVD? nah) had Linspire 5.0 Live, which looks cool to try.

Shabbily, I bought it insead of LXF. Why? Lots of interesting content, including long articles on VoIP and the revitalised HURD. Too long actually - rather rambling and academic. I'd love to see these topics get the LXF treatment: clear exposition, add some practical stuff on opening the toybox, not overly-long, some discreet text-on-graphics maybe. Wink
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Is the new issue (with Mandriva 2005) on DVD out yet Reply with quote

evilnick wrote:
mugstar wrote:

Does it not stirke anyone as shabby that, when Mandriva release a 2Gb image, some magazines have just mastered the ISO as a DVD, just wasting the other half of the available space.

Perhaps thats one of the reasons that LM is 50p cheaper than LXF though.

guy wrote:

Linux User & Developer 49 was the one next to LXF at my local WHS. CD (DVD? nah) had Linspire 5.0 Live, which looks cool to try.

Shabbily, I bought it insead of LXF. Why? Lots of interesting content, including long articles on VoIP and the revitalised HURD. Too long actually - rather rambling and academic

This is one of the reasons I buy both LUD and LXF, because LUD is more technical and indepth with its articles, more techy if you like.
This is one of the reasons why LXF and LUD can co-exist, because although they cover the unbrella topic of Linux, they appeal to slightly different segments within the market.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugstar wrote:
If anyone has both DVD's, then install the LXF one, since almost *every* rpm is a newer version. cat ../media/main into a text file for each disc then run diff on them to see for y'self!

Or you could look at the contents of the VERSION file and the date of the *.idx file in the root of the DVD. The LM disc appears to be based on Cooker from a week before Mandriva released 10.2.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: