SuSe10 and sound

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SuSe10 and sound

Postby adzica » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:11 pm

I have installed SuSe 10 on 3 different PCs ranging from PII166 to PIII833 to Athlon850Mhz and every installation went fine except for one thing - I was not able to get any sound out of my system. The only successful installation (including sound) was on a laptop. All three PCs have different sound cards so I doubt there is a compatibility problem. Laptop is obviously using on-board sound chip. I subsequently installed Mandriva 2006 Powerpack on two of the PCs and sound works perfectly.
I am not completely new to Linux but I certainly don't fit into expert user description.
adzica

RE: SuSe10 and sound

Postby Rhakios » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:24 pm

I recommended elsewhere in the forum to leave sound alone if it appears not to work with SuSE10, then see what happens after a reboot. The reason for this is that on two computers I have seen the same problem, but in the first case I thought I would leave it alone while twiddling around with a few other things - they required a reboot and when I did so, sound was working. So I did the same thing on the second computer and it worked the same way. It could have been an update, as I installed them in both cases before rebooting, but then I don't recall seeing any specifically sound related ones at the time.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Hardware