Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those about to order broadband....STOP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: For those about to order broadband....STOP! Reply with quote

If anybody is thinking of ordering broadband via a BT line (not cable) be warned Exclamation You may have a long wait.

I was listening to a local BBC radio station this morning when a caller rang in. The caller lives in my village so my ears immediately pricked up. This caller had ordered broadband a few weeks ago but it had not been activated. Apparently he has been told that the local exchange is now full and BT cannot give him a date when his line will converted to broadband (DSL). He has been told that there are 5,000 people in the same situation. I do not know if this figure of 5,000 is local or national. However, if you are thinking of getting broadband it may be worthwhile contacting BT before you sign any contracts. This would affect any ISP who supplies broadband through the BT local loop so NTL and Telewest cable customers would not be involved (nor those using the Kingston network).
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: RE: For those about to order broadband....STOP! Reply with quote

It will be 5000 nationwide, once they hit the limit of the exchange new equipment needs installing in that exchange. The wait for this shouldn't be too long but I believe SDSL convertions are taking priority. There is a website which tells you which exchanges are full and when they are getting upgraded but I don't have the link to hand.
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: RE: For those about to order broadband....STOP! Reply with quote

A-Wing: You may be thinking of Samknows, although it is usually a month or two out of date on a lot of data.
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: RE: For those about to order broadband....STOP! Reply with quote

Samknows is the one Smile I quit the ISP I worked for a couple of weeks ago and had to remove all related data so most of my ISP links are gone Smile
Yes, it can be quite out of date, but at least it gives you an idea of the areas affected or about to be. No problem here though, phone lines are a new invention to most people round here (although we do have ADSL) Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: