C#, Sunderland, Sonnets and Apress

Discuss LXF Team Blog entries here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

C#, Sunderland, Sonnets and Apress

Postby andychannelle » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:40 pm

I hate to be a pedant (well, a bit) but what you have described in your entry about homiletics is a 'method' rather than a 'science'*. There is no attempt, for example, at proposing a hypothesis and then formulating experiments to test its limits and/or verity.**
That said, I have often been astonished by the way some preachers manage to weld the mundane aspects of daily life into the Bible and religious thinking (and I'm not just talking about the 'significance of Aslan' in Narnia sermons in association with Disney and WETA Digital), and then the crass way some others manage to shoehorn any piece of tatty popular culture into a religious sermon (see the former example once again).

Magazine formatting is potentially more problematic than an exploration on the existence of a divine intelligence, because you have to balance the generic and house conventions with the need to innovate and be distinctive. However, the real problem when attempting Dactylic Hexameter (or some other meter) in a Linux tutorial is that the distro names never seem to fit.

* I expect you expected this sort of response.
** Confession: I'm a humanities graduate and, thus, know little of the scientific method - I spend all day watching the Olympics. And Teletubbies.
andychannelle
LXF regular

RE: C#, Sunderland, Sonnets and Apress

Postby Hudzilla » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:32 pm

'lo,

< I hate to be a pedant (well, a bit) but what you have described in your entry about homiletics is a 'method' rather than a 'science'*. >>

Meh. My reference for everything in life is the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica, which defines homiletics as "in theology the application of the general principles of rhetoric to the specific department of public preaching. It may be further defined as the science that treats of the analysis, classification, preparation, composition and delivery of sermons."

In other news, I heard that George V is no longer king? Next thing we know, India will rule itself...

<< Magazine formatting is potentially more problematic than an exploration on the existence of a divine intelligence, because you have to balance the generic and house conventions with the need to innovate and be distinctive. >>

Innovative? Distinctive? I think I see where I'm going wrong...

<< However, the real problem when attempting Dactylic Hexameter (or some other meter) in a Linux tutorial is that the distro names never seem to fit. >>

I think there's a bounty in that. Perhaps we'd best leave the classical meters to others (http://www.linuxformat.gr), though, and focus on something more familiar. Maybe we can do a poem by chain messageboard posts. I'll start:

I wandered lonely as a geek
That codes at night and sleeps by day

Continue in iambic tetrameter. Or maybe we could geekify it a smidge and increment the foot count by powers of two - the next two lines would be octameter, and the next two hexadecimeter(!); rather than go any higher, we could go back to tetrameter at the stanza break ;)

(Note: for the purposes of stress, it's SUE-zuh; extra points for getting "PCLinuxOS" or some other mouthful in!)

Paul
Hudzilla
Site admin

RE: C#, Sunderland, Sonnets and Apress

Postby Rhakios » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:16 pm

OTOH, perhaps we could stick with doggerel.

Doggerel \Dog"ger*el\, a. [OE. dogerel.]
Low in style, and irregular in measure; as, doggerel rhymes.
[1913 Webster]

I trust the definition is old enough for you ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby andychannelle » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:21 pm

Haiku Hotpicks

VMware player
Community machines help
To test new distros

Scribus one three two
Makes page layout much simpler
But lacks datum point

Gimp does ev'rything
It needs CMYK to