Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB to parallel conversion cables

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: USB to parallel conversion cables Reply with quote

Has anybody ever tried running an Iomega Zip parallel port model through a conversion cable that goes from parallel to USB? I can easily run my two through the parallel port as they are supposed to be used but I wondered if they can be used via USB. There is a newer USB version but is there firmware that changes the data flow?

Any ideas Question
ollie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: RE: USB to parallel conversion cables Reply with quote

Hi,
I know there are USB-IEEE-1284 Printer Cables available in Australia but I don't know their efffectivenessor whether they would work with Iomega Zip Drivess. They cost about $25.00 + Frt in Australia.
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: RE: USB to parallel conversion cables Reply with quote

Hi Ollie. Yes, I've seen those cables too. They terminate in a centronics plug to connect direct to an old parallel port printer, something like a HP Laserjet. I've thought of getting one for my Laserjet but then it would take up a USB port and I would be left with a spare parallel port on the PC. Printing is quick enough so I'll keep the parallel port for the printer Smile I was wondering about the USB port conversion so that I could easily move between various PC's and OS's. There are cables available that terminate in a proper parallel plug but I just wonder whether I'd be wasting my money... eBay is possibly the best place to get them monetary wise Smile

Bathurst? Is that anywhere near Adelaide? I lived there for a short time back in 2000/2001. Lovely place and fantastically friendly people.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: