Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outputting group members

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Outputting group members Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im currently writing a CLI frontend to manage my webserver, it has a few users on it that are all members of the group webhosting. What I seem to have come stuck on is building an offline 'database' of this, the reason database is in apostraphies is because it will jsut be a text file with the relevant details in.
I can't seem to find any way of running a command that will output all the users in a specific group, in this case webhosting.
Im using BASH for the rest of the frontend but if any suggestions are in other languages then I should be able to incorporate that.

Any ideas?

cheers
Ben
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Outputting group members Reply with quote

If they are members of webhosting ass a secondary group, you can grep this information from /etc/group

Code:
grep ^${GROUP} /etc/group | cut -d: -f4

To find those that are members of the group as their primary group, you'd have to convert the group name to a numeric ID then grep /etc/passwd.

Code:
GID=$(grep ^${GROUP} /etc/group | cut -d: -f3)
egrep ".*?:.*?:.*?:${GID}:.*" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1

should do it, although some error checking might be a good idea.

Last edited by nelz on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Outputting group members Reply with quote

Excellent Thank you Very Happy just what I was needing, they are all in there as a secondary group so that makes life much easier Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: