Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ltd ed 2005

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: ltd ed 2005 Reply with quote

Hi I'm a total newbie to Linux which is proberbly why it all went belly up.Heres the prob. I installed from the 3 cd's from the mag. on first boot it was obvious that the partitioning did'nt do a clean job, booting from a floppy into Win98se did'nt allow me to re format the hard drive and ltd ed 2005 only allows me to get to the command screen, any help on doing a complete hd format then a full clean install greatley appreciated
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: RE: ltd ed 2005 Reply with quote

What do you mean by the partitoning didn't do a clean job? Did you ask it to remove windows? Is windows still there?

If Mandriva only boots to a text prompt, you probably haven't configured your graphics card. Log in as root and run drakconf to set up your graphical desktop.
Digger

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: RE: ltd ed 2005 Reply with quote

Nope can't find windows anywhere, but I managed to config the graphics, so now all I really need to do is a total reformat and then do a clean install of ltd ed, thanx for info though as I'm determined this is not going to beat me and with any luck I'll be up and running before work on Monday, so my next question is how do I reformat once into the 2005 desktop...cheers Digger
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: RE: ltd ed 2005 Reply with quote

Why do you need to reinstall? Windows is gone, graphics are working, why start again?
Digger

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: RE: ltd ed 2005 Reply with quote

I want to get rid of the partitions and start with a cleaner HD as possible I've only 3GB to play with and a lot of my music s/ware is pretty greedy on space...Digger
fairless

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: RE: ltd ed 2005 Reply with quote

Why don't you just format the windows partition as a linux partition and create and move your home partition in to what was the windows partition. It may take a bit of work but it'd be a good way of learining about Linux partitioning as a newbie. If you search Google for 'linux "move the home partition"' you'll find loads of instructions. Hope this helps. Neil
Digger

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: RE: ltd ed 2005 Reply with quote

Cheers will have a bash 2morrow...Digger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: