Samba V3 Problems DNS I think ? ? ?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Samba V3 Problems DNS I think ? ? ?

Postby Guest » Sun May 22, 2005 4:04 pm

I'm attempting to migrate from Windows 2003 to Linux, SuSE 9.2 running Samba V3. All was going well, I've configured DNS, installed Apache and now trying to configure Samaba to be a domain PDC.

Samba I beleive is configured as I have managed to map a network drive from a Windows XP desktop to the Samba and copy files across. I've also been able to add the same Windows XP Professional PC to the Samba domain. All good so far...

However when I try and login to the domain it failes saying the domain is not available, even though the domain is listed in the drop down window.

If I then login using a local account, I can browse the newtork and the domain is listed however the PDC server is not shown.

Any ideas I'm so close, but loosing the will to live....

RE: Samba V3 Problems DNS I think ? ? ?

Postby dandnsmith » Sun May 22, 2005 4:39 pm

Not sure what you've done so far, but you don't need SAMBA server facilities to map an XP share to the linux system. Thus you don't have much of an indicator of good configuration yet.

Possibly you need to post the samba config file, and the XP 'workgroup' name so we can comment.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Sun May 22, 2005 5:40 pm

Try setting the samba PDC as the WINS server for the domain, and make sure the clients look to the PDC for their WINS resolution (perhaps specify this in DHCP if you use that).
M0PHP
LXF regular

Return to Help!