Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C functions and libraries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyLB
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: C functions and libraries Reply with quote

I'm just learning C as another language, and I'm trying to build some utilities into a library. I have this (crude I know) function:
void insert(char* insrt, char* source, int place){
char temp[strlen(insrt)+strlen(source)+1];
strncpy(temp, source, place);
temp[place]='\0';
strcat(temp, insrt);
strcat(temp, source+place);
strcpy(source, temp);
}

In a simple file, it all works, but in a static library, when I call it I get a segnmentation fault. The villain is the final strcpy.

I tried returning temp instead and that doesn't work either, I don't get quite the string that exists in the function (and the compiler warns about returning a local variable).

I know there's a solution, I just have no idea what it is. Any help would be great.

Tony
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: RE: C functions and libraries Reply with quote

OK, I think the answer lies in how you are calling the routine. Are you doing something like this...
Code:
char string1[1024];
  char string2[1024];
  char *str1;
  char *str2;
  str1 = "I believe it";
  str2 = "DON'T ";
  insert (str2, str1, 2);

If so, the segfault is because you have changed the pointer str1 to point to the literal "I believe it" instead of the character array string1. It is not legal to write to a string literal.
The calling sequence should be something like this :
Code:
char string1[1024];
  char string2[1024];
  char *str1;
  char *str2;
  strcpy (str1,"I believe it");
  strcpy (str2,"DON'T ");
  insert (str2, str1, 2);

Nigel.
TonyLB
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: RE: C functions and libraries Reply with quote

Thanks, yes.
In fact, in my original code I'd uses a char array which was passed to insert, and the later version user a char* instead, which seems to be the problem at least in part since there was no room for the inserted characters.

Tony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: