MythTV in Australia, suitable Capture cards

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

MythTV in Australia, suitable Capture cards

Postby tavares » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:39 am

This post is specifically for PVR building in Australia.

Im not sure what standard Digital TV in Australia uses and i am keen to build a MythTV box as outlined in an LXF issue. Australia uses PAL to my knowledge and it is different to US and European standards.

can anyone point me to a list of digital TV tuner cards that are both usable in Linux and MythTV and are known to accept the free digital terrestrial signals in Australia?

cards that have/can accept remote control signals would be ideal.

Any testimonials from successful MythTV boxes in Australia? I'd love to hear those too.

thank you very much for your help.
tavares

RE: MythTV in Australia, suitable Capture cards

Postby johndough » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:41 am

hi

http://mythtv.meetup.com/cities/au/

google has a lot of links on the subject.
johndough

Postby peter64 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:16 am

G'day Tavares

I'm no linux expert by any strech of the imagenation but I just got Myth up and running using (Suse 10) a DNTV live DVB-t card and an older avermedia 761 card. The DNTV live card was easier as I didn't have to install any firmware for it (although doing so for the Aver card wasn't exactly painfull with Suse anyway)

Have a look at http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=af ... howforum=9
for an idea on other dvb-t cards that work with Linux.

As for the remote havent had a go at setting that up, although have read the DNTV live one works with lirc without much trouble (have to let you know later)

Haven't had any luck getting the EPG working but once again have read plenty of people have with "TV-grab-au" so that is my next priority.

Overall pretty impressed with it. I shouldn't say it in this forum but have a Windows MCE machine in the lounge, (3 linux boxes though) and if I can work out the EPG for Myth It will be Linux 4 - Windoze 0

Let me know how you get on.

Peter
peter64

Postby grege » Fri May 12, 2006 7:47 am

Hi,
I built a Freevo box on SUSE 10 using a DVICO Fusion DVBTV Plus and it works well, but took a long time to get everything right. I live in Melbourne and have a good channels.conf. If you get that far I will be happy to email it to you. I still do not have a working remote, but use a wireless keyboard instead. Freevo also make a good Jukebox for music. MythTV is a bit more difficult to setup than Freevo, but neither is easy.

SUSE 10.0 recognised and configured the DVICO card without problems and it also works with Kaffeine under KDE. Kaffeine is a no-brainer to setup and a good starting point, you can watch and record digital TV and still use the system as a normal computer. Any distro will require copious quantities of other files for DVD decoding and win32codecs etc etc. Digital TV uses a form of MPEG2 so you will need to search out all of that first before attempting a MythTV setup, which is why I suggest starting with Kaffeine to get it right first.

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/TVGuide/ is a great free community driven EPG with it's own tv_grab_au.py grabber. You need to setup a free account first but that is no hassle.
grege

Return to Hardware