Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Madriva 2005 laptop switch off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biki

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Madriva 2005 laptop switch off Reply with quote

When I log out and want to quite Madriva 2005 Linux, my laptop switches off... but really switches off, so I can't start it again (no electricity). I have to disconnect the battery, wait ten seconds, connect battery again and only then can I boot again.

Laptop is one of the AJP laptops. I tried to stop various services... but no result.

Any idea?
andy_webster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Madriva 2005 laptop switch off Reply with quote

[quote="biki"]When I log out and want to quite Madriva 2005 Linux, my laptop switches off... but really switches off, so I canThats a very odd problem. I can only really suggest backing up any important data and doing a reinstall, maybe even of a different (and better!) distro. Have you tried using a live CD such as Knoppix and logging out of that - worth a goas an alternative to reinstalling straight away.

Let me know how you get on - sorry I cant be any more help
biki

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead, in KDE of using button Turn off... I use restart...
And when BIOS stars loading again, I do hard reset.
Then i can boot Linux (or Windows... I have GRUB) with no problems (apart from not to forget to do restart instead of Turno Off.)
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had and still do Rolling Eyes have a modem problem with mandriva so i thought i may have done something wrong so i went for a complete new install and the screen repeatedly froze the only way around it was to just turn the power off Rolling Eyes i'm now going to do a fedora install and see how that goes Cool
paul

towy71

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1sf (troll) to break out of paper bag wet corner Wink
seriously if you can't get your speedtouch to work in mandrake then you won't get it to work anywhere else unless you actually do exactly as instructed, even I know that and I am exceedingly dim Wink
Dick
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: