Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reinstalling Windows XP Home after major hardware changes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hello
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Reinstalling Windows XP Home after major hardware ch Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
If you have destroyed the environment that windows was on and you wish to reinstall just do it. You have a valid licence so no problems and when you want to update go to http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ and use firefox to update your system it doesn't connect to the contentious update Wink

That looks like a good option ebcause it will allow me to totally disable to kill ie etc on the machines, however I dont like the sound of 'unsigned' in the install. Is this safe?

Also could I make a Linux windows patch distribution server
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the OEM license is very restrictive.
Ms allow you to install on 1 pc....end of story.
If you replace large portions of that PC....new OSA.., new install, new license...

MS don't give a pink sh*t about users, unless they pay money....

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, these are the rules.... at least while MS are running the world

pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedcat> I know the license thing already seems to have been sorted, but if you do run into any problems, the activation caan be bypassed with some registry editing. that is, install xp, put in the product key, select activate later, then once you get into windows, run regedit. I can't tell you off the top of my head what you'd have to change, but a bit of googling should reveal the truth...
scary thought. if google and ms weren't at each others throats, google might be prepared to de-list sites that provided such info...
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Google suceed there will be no need for such sites. There aren't many companies as nonsensical as MS and once their gone I imagine the consumer will think carefully before allowing such a lockin again.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pins, thanks for that, but although opening a Linux terminal and editing various config files no longer scares me, regedit makes my eyes glaze over. Or is that the effect of Windows? Smile However, I want to stay within the law here, even though I consider microsoft's position to be morally indefensible. Having said that, I will bear in mind:

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Biggest issue: did you stick the COA sticker on the case? If not, then it has never actually been fully installed in that machine has it?

and the 90-day business. wyliecoyoteuk, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: you are a scholar and a gentleman. And a mine of useful technical information too. Very Happy

Update: new motherboard ordered. Moral - if you want peace and quiet, be very wary of small form factor barebones systems. This is getting to be an expensive mistake on my part. Sad
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedcat wrote:
pins, thanks for that, but although opening a Linux terminal and editing various config files no longer scares me, regedit makes my eyes glaze over. Or is that the effect of Windows? Smile

It's no problem if you know exactly what to enter, rather the same as the CLI is no problem if you know exactly what to enter. Wink

Quote:

Update: new motherboard ordered. Moral - if you want peace and quiet, be very wary of small form factor barebones systems. This is getting to be an expensive mistake on my part. Sad

I'll let you know if and when mine starts making a noise. I've had it about 10 months now. Mine too has a Pentium 4, 3.00GHz.

Let's hope you have better luck with the new motherboard. Smile
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read a review of Exchange 12 (still in beta), and the reviewer (a famous MS groupie) was gushing about how everything could be done with scripts or at the command line!
Hello? Windoze? command line?

pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me when I was at school, I always had the knees torn out of my jeans from climbing trees, throwing myself on the floor, etc. Then at a birthday party, a kid who I didn't like and who used to bully me, partly for having torn, secondhand clothes, congratulated me that I was 'getting into fashion now, with the holes in my jeans'!
Maybe it will end with windows going opensource, and microsoft trying to claim that they invented the concept - which people will buy: someone tried to tell me that bill gates invented the internet the other day.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedcat wrote:
pins, thanks for that, but although opening a Linux terminal and editing various config files no longer scares me, regedit makes my eyes glaze over. Or is that the effect of Windows? Smile However, I want to stay within the law here, even though I consider microsoft's position to be morally indefensible. Having said that, I will bear in mind:

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Biggest issue: did you stick the COA sticker on the case? If not, then it has never actually been fully installed in that machine has it?

and the 90-day business. wyliecoyoteuk, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: you are a scholar and a gentleman. And a mine of useful technical information too. Very Happy

Whether or not regedit is a system that requires learning isn't the problem. The registry generally becomes so clogged with garbage that its hard to tell one thing from another. There are third party tools out there to better handle the registry (regcleaner) but its just that the system doesn't clean up after itself.

True that Linux has its problems with config files not updating but it doesn't claim to be the pinnicle of user friendlyness like MS claims with XP.

Anyway MS have released their minimum specs for Vista. Lies, Damned Lies and minimum specs. They claim Vista will run on a 800 with 512MB of RAM. Then again they claim XP will run on a 150 or something stupid. They are recommending 1GB of RAM though.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good piece of registry cleaning freeware called ccleaner. That stands for crap-cleaner. I like that. Smile But which is the crap? The accumulated junk that ccleaner clears out, or the Windows registry itself? We should be told. Wink
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta be the stuff it removes.
Why?
because you can't polish a turd.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedcat wrote:
There's a good piece of registry cleaning freeware called ccleaner. That stands for crap-cleaner. I like that. Smile But which is the crap? The accumulated junk that ccleaner clears out, or the Windows registry itself? We should be told. Wink

It automatically runs 'format C: -y'.

Out of interest does that command still run.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't, it jolly well ought to.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: