Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedors boot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortezart

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedors boot Reply with quote

Hello

I am a new user:
> I installed Linux feedura( from disc LXFSO5B/04/06), on my laptop(sony modelPCG-K33 vaio)
> right now I am only with Linux fedora, without windows xp, I have
some important data on my windows xp,
> how do i remove linux and then install it correctly?

all the best
Morteza
my email: morteza@morteza.org
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedors b Reply with quote

Try making sure you have the following entry in the file

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Code:

title Windows XP Pro
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Or it might need to be

Code:

title Windows XP Pro
    chainloader (hd0,1)+1

On my sony vaio laptop the second is the one that boots xp since the first partition on the hard drive is the sony rescue system.
mortezart

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedors b Reply with quote

hello
I am using simply mepis3.4 now
where do i go to change the code?
could u please instruct me, step by step?
I am novice suer in linux?
last question: what distribution is better for laptops and dell pc?
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedors b Reply with quote

In Fedora 5, the file /boot/grub/menu.lst is actually called /boot/grub/grub.conf. Different distros use one of the two filenames, mortezart, but they both do the same thing. My Sony Vaio also has windows on the second partition so Gordon's second code is probably the one you want. Also, near the beginning of the file you'll find a line which says 'hiddenmenu' (without the quotes). Add a hash mark in front so that it looks like:

Code:
# hiddenmenu

Actually, come to think of it, Gordon's line is probably already in there, but because of hiddenmenu you are not seeing it. Next time you boot up, as soon as you see the splash screen, hit the space bar and you should see the choice of Fedora or Windows. Use the up and own arrow keys and enter to make your choice. If you do see this and you want to lengthen the time before it boots into the default of Fedora, post back and either Gordon or I will tell you what to edit in grub.conf

Edit: You posted about Mepis before I finished my post. What are you seeing now? Can you boot into Windows? Mepis doesn't have a hiddenmenu. Don't worry - we'll get you sorted out. It's quite easy to edit the file.
towy71

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedors b Reply with quote

mepis, annoyingly remembers what you last booted and boots that automatically, can't remember what bit you have to comment out to stop it doing that though Rolling Eyes
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedors b Reply with quote

It's quite possible, Towy, that the hidden hda1 partition on a Sony Vaio is confusing the installer. That's what happened to me when I installed SuSE 10.1. Halfway through the install at the reboot stage it booted me back into Windows - no choice at all. 'Handy,' I thought. Fortunately I was able to repair the SuSE menu.lst (or is that grub.conf? Rolling Eyes), and carry on as thought nothing untoward had happened.

Despair not, mortezart. Help is at hand!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedo Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
mepis, annoyingly remembers what you last booted and boots that automatically, can't remember what bit you have to comment out to stop it doing that though Rolling Eyes

Comment out "default lastsaved" in /boot/grub/menu.lst
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux Reply with quote

I thought grub.conf was a Gentoo tool. It's used there in case you want to unmerge GRUB (why would you ever want to do that). This way the file is maintained and a emerge just symbolic links menu.lst to grub.conf. Anyway I managed dual boot alright with Mepis, never noticed any last boot nonsense going on though that maybe because I altered GRUB myself or something (indeed I tore it apart when trying to get Nvidia to work with my new kernel. Nvidia as standard but hard work if you try to change something).

Anyway I've had success with Ubuntu on Laptops but haven't tried much else to be honest.
towy71

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux fedo Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Comment out "default lastsaved" in /boot/grub/menu.lst

thanks nelz, where would we be without you Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux Reply with quote

grub.conf isn't a tool, just a file. GRUB originally used grub.conf then switched to menu.lst. Many distros still symlink one to the other. It only matters which you use if you have /boot/grub on a filesystem where GRUB can't handle symlinks, like FAT or ISO9660.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux Reply with quote

My mistake then. With Gentoo storing all configurations in such files I assumed this was the same especially given the symlink.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Sony Vaio, windows Xp does not work, only linux Reply with quote

All distros store configurations in files, although Lindows used to keep passwords in a post-it note on the side of the monitor Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: