Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GaŽl Duval sacked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

The founder of Mandrakesoft has been fired by Mandriva...

I have fond memories of Mandrake, from 9.0 up to 9.2, which got me started in Linux in the days where it was about the simplest distro for the new user. Indeed my present attachment to PCLOS was as a result of remembering Texstar due to his unofficial repositories for Mandrake at that time.

By getting involved in Corporate Takeovers and then the inevitable "staff savings" (ie sackings) as the inevitable duplication of work is shedded, Mandrake/iva lost its soul, even before Duval was fired, which just confirmed that point.

The former choice of the Home User, the former favourite of everyone outside the corporate sector (think Linuxquestions, Linux Format mag, but a couple of years ago) had already lost its way. It is trying to take on Red Hat and Novell/SuSE. I just don't see it.

Mandriva Club site discussion on this matter:

http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=47157&sid=f851c08aae50ae0af4eda276296d3ede

GaŽl Duval's homepage:

http://www.indidea.org/gael/en/

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ ‚ÄĒ GeForce 7600GT ‚ÄĒ 2Gb Cosair VS RAM ‚ÄĒ 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive ‚ÄĒ PCLinuxOS
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: RE: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

And it looks like he's going to sue!

M
marco
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: RE: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

This is really terrible!

I followed the conversations on the club forum and many people are thinking to switch to another distro (like myself).

It is not fair at all to get fired from the company you founded. But on the other side, what is "fair" in the business world?
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: RE: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

But these days, a company's only concern is the shareholders' dividends.
Forget the employees, the product, etc etc, just keep the earnings-per-share up regardless, even if it means layoffs and asset stripping.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: RE: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

Oddly (or not) enough, I had already decided not to renew my club membership before the news of Duval's departure. I don't see that it makes much difference. Mandriva no longer offers me anything better than I can get elsewhere. As for the club's offerings, I find them long on promises and short on delivery.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: RE: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

He quickly setup a new project, ulteo
http://ulteo.free.fr/about/
marco
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: RE: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

nordle wrote:

I wonder what kind of project ulteo will be?
TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: RE: GaŽl Duval sacked! Reply with quote

marco wrote:
nordle wrote:

I wonder what kind of project ulteo will be?

Software that produces pretentious, uninformative web pages?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: